It’s That Time of Year… for Chocolate

Knipschildt Chocolatier

After sharing my love for dark chocolate and salt, a friend told me about her obsession with a certain bar of dark chocolate made with Hawaiian sea salt.  I was immediately intrigued.  When she said it was a Knipschildt bar, I knew I had to get my hands on it. Knipschildt?!  That would be Fritz Knipschildt, a young, charming Danish chocolatier, now living in Connecticut, making chocolates with original flavor combinations in beautiful packaging.   As is the case for many pastry chefs, Fritz’s background was in the savory side of the kitchen, working in restaurants in Denmark, France, Spain and the US.  The transition was quite natural, as he has stated before, “I loved to experiment with sweet and savory flavors and I continued to do so with chocolate.”

But more on his signature line of chocolates in a minute, each one with a different woman’s name by the way.  Back to the bar above (and below)!

Knipschildt ChocolatierKnipschildt Chocolatier

Burnt Caramel and Hawaiian Sea Salt.  Difficult to go wrong there.  It’s a hefty bar with deliciously smooth dark chocolate – 71% Ecuadorian single bean.  When you break into it, your first reaction may be disappointment, that there’s very little caramel in relation to the chocolate (that was my first thought too).  But when you taste that thin layer, the amount of flavor that fills your mouth does not disappoint.  It’s a powerful hit of rich chocolate, caramel and strong salt.  Just look at the underside of the bar, and you’ll see why.  It’s a masterful combination of strong flavors.

Knipschildt Chocolatier

If you want to taste the caramel in a more dominant – and runny – form, you should meet Hannah.  That’s one of Knipschildt’s chocolates, of course.  The same combination of flavors, burnt caramel and Hawaiian sea salt, in an individual praline.  My personal favorite of his chocolates in fact.  I used to buy his handmande paper boxes when I was living in the states at Dean & Deluca, Whole Foods and Food Emporium in NYC, and at Formaggio Kitchen in Boston.  Fortunately, they are easy to find, and come in seasonal colors.  Hannah went too fast; I didn’t have a chance to photograph her!  But below you’ll see Valentina, another irresistible caramel, this one made with lavender; and Cleopatra, made with raspberry liqueur.

Knipschildt ChocolatierKnipschildt ChocolatierKnipschildt ChocolatierKnipschildt Chocolatier

Knipshildt ChocolatierWith all of these chocolates and beautiful red boxes, this has me thinking one thing. Isn’t Valentine’s Day coming up real soon? Ah yes. Good thing Fritz thought about that too!

Knipschildt Chocolatier
12 South Main Street
Norwalk, CT 06854
+1.203.838.3131
www.Knipschildt.com

17 Responses to “It’s That Time of Year… for Chocolate”

1. Sarah says:

Knipschildt chocolates are amazing! A friend from New York sent me a box last year and I recall being totally blown away by the explosion of flavors the chocolatier had created. The most impressive was a rose-flavored chocolate.

I would love to find this particular bar though; I have a huge weakness for caramel.

Kerrin! You are making me insane — insane for chocolates! I still can’t find chocolate with sea salt here in Toronto. I’d have to order online. Or perhaps when we go to Paris in May, I can pick some up. Do you have any recommendations for Paris?

3. Sabriena says:

as if chocolate needed to look any better – you have a way of doing it! you make it look like I could pick up a piece out of the computer screen – can we figure out how to do that ?? 🙂

4. Ilana says:

Hannah sounds too tempting! I am going to be on the lookout for that! Thanks for sharing your discovery!

5. CatherineM says:

The chocolates look lovely. Too bad I’m no longer near Connecticut. The older I get, the more particular I become about chocolate…I’m always looking for something “orgasmic” LOL…..do you know of any chocolates like that??? do tell, do tell ! 🙂

6. Nicole says:

You can also find chocolate made with sea salt at this awesome chocolate shop in Barcelona. I don’t see it listed on their website, but maybe they have it in one of the stores. I saw multiple locations throughout the city.

7. Feeding Frenzy says:

Keep working ,great job!

8. Tammie says:

I had a fondue party not long ago for 8 close friends (that’s my limit for entertaining) and made this fabulous dark chocolate/rich cream, totally decadent dip for Scandinavian almond bread and fruit. One of the girls asks “where’s your Fritos?” “Is that what you want for the cheese fondue?” “No” she said, “that’s what I want for the chocolate.” Thinking she’d had too much to drink, I drug out the bag of Fritos and she proceeded to dip them into the chocolate much to everyone’s disgust. Disgust turned to curiousity, curiousity turned to smiles. Someone had to run to the store for more Fritos. I want one of those Burnt Caramel and Sea Salt bars. Now.

9. Tammie says:

Just ordered 3 of those bars. considering I’m not eating much chocolate (yet to have a bit of any of those I recently photographed — been giving them away — too bad you don’t live closer!), I figured the 3 will last me for a while.

Just wanted you to know that the Burnt Caramel & Hawaiian Sea Salt bar was in my dreams last night so I just got back from Food Emporium and got one. Can’t wait to eat it tonight but it certainly is calling my name from the kitchen. Eat me!!!!! Taste me!!!!!!

11. Sibyl says:

Kerrin – these sound divine; however, they may be easy to find in the States, but where oh where can I get my hands on them over here????????????????

12. Romy says:

I found the caramel and sea salt bar here in Zurich! Well, not a Knipschildt one, but still – a dark chocolate, caramel, and hawaiian sea salt bar by Coppeneur is available for around CHF 7 at the Jelmoli Gourmet Factory. Look on the square chocolate display near the cash registers.

*goes off to open my excitedly-purchased bar*

Wait, Romy, for real ??!! I know Coppeneur bars and do like them — especially the Jamaica 65% dark chocolate with Blue Mountain Coffee. And on the rare occasion that I buy milk chocolate, I do like Coppeneur’s Uba Budo 52% milk chocolate with Himalayan Salt & Caramel… because well, there’s caramel and salt in it! But you are referring to a DARK chocolate bar with caramel and salt. Really, really?? It is new?? Well then you know where to find me Monday morning when the doors at Jelmoli open! Thanks so much for the heads up, can’t wait ! So… did you finish the bar yet ? 😉

14. Romy says:

Oh blah. Sorry everyone, I was too excited and typed before I opened it. It’s the bar Kerrin is talking about, the 52% one, which is definitely not dark. My humblest apologies. 🙁

Ooooh, I knew it !! ha ha!! That would have been too good to be true. Sorry about your disappointment Romy, hope you’ll still enjoy the milk bar anyway. As for me, I actually have a square of Lindt’s Fleur de Sel bar in my mouth as I type this. Mmmmm, it’s so good!

But back to that caramel and salt – we’ll just have to keep our eyes open for future spottings ! To be continued………

16. bethany says:

I love hawaiian sea salt and this sounds absolutely scrumptious! I’ll have to give the lindt fleur de sel bar a try… as I’ve never had such a combination.

17. The Cooking Ninja says:

ooh…that is so yummy. I’m not a very chocolate person but I’m drooling on my screen.