Ears or Feet? Who Gets the First Bite?

Everyone seems to be talking about spring lately.  The flowers are budding and it no longer gets dark at 4pm, that’s for sure.  However, I’m not so convinced that spring is really just around the corner.  People aren’t quite ready to walk outside without their scarf and hat on here in Zürich.  It’s been awfully cold, and this past weekend – I wasn’t exactly flower picking.  I was on snow-shoes, trailing down a mountain!

Easter / PaquesWhether spring will be upon us soon is up for discussion. But one thing is for sure: Easter is almost here.  It’s difficult to pass a bakery or chocolate shop without admiring its window overflowing with all sorts of chocolate eggs, milk and dark chocolate bunnies in all sorts of outfits, some even on motorcycles, others with funny hats and accessories – the bunnies are really diversifying here. Department stores have almost entire floors devoted to Easter, decorations and egg-related everything.  It’s really quite fun.  One of them has a cart of different colored chocolate eggs from Cailler: you grab a bag and make your own assortment.  Kind of like jelly bean dispensers.

As you’ll see in the photos below, it’s all about bunnies here.  Apparently in France, bunnies don’t take center stage though.  The stars there are hens and bells, as my French husband tells me.  I am curious what the traditions are around the world.  I am guessing chocolate is a common theme, but the molds are of different animals. Let us know what you have wherever you may be.

Here is a selection of Easter treats that I’ve seen around Zürich.  You’ll see below the chocolate creativity at Zürich’s Confiserie Honold, TruffeJelmoliCoop and Vollenweider Chocolatier Confiseur.

Easter / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / PaquesEaster / Paques

Now for the real fun stuff!  I recently received a care package from across the Atlantic Ocean with plenty of fun Easter goodies.  The classic candies I remember eating as a child in New York – Cadbury eggs, marshmallow Peeps and assorted chocolates.  Are these the treats of your childhood too?  One thing I’m enjoying right now, which I definitely did not have as a child are Fritz Knipschildt’s white and dark chocolate “quail eggs” that even come in a egg carton.  Let the young ones enjoy their colorful paper wrapped sweets, this is a treat I recommend for the adults!

Wishing all those who celebrate, a happy and sweet Easter to come.  Don’t forget to tell us what you hope to have in your Easter basket this year!  :)

Easter / Paques

13 Responses to “Ears or Feet? Who Gets the First Bite?”

1. Yeye says:

I still have not really felt Easter in my city. But NOW definitely thanks to your fantastic and colorful story! Tomorrow, I’m definitely hunting outside those so many bunnies that look delicious to bite.

2. Romy says:

Yay, Easter and Spring! I was nearly bowled over by the chocolate bunny displays at the big Coop in Sihlcity today. Can’t wait for the weather to get in line with all the pastels and flowers!

Thank you for your photographs of the Easter Bunnies in Zurich. I just love them.
    The quail eggs….how enticing! Those little peeps bring back the best memories of hiding eggs in the backyard and sitting coloring eggs during Easter…..but getting peeps were the favorite….squashing them in your fingers and then stretching the marshmallow out…..remember……

4. Sarah Musi says:

There is nothing quite like those Zurich candy shops at Easter is there? I always love turning a corner in some little back alley there and finding some generations-old chocolatier with a picture window full of beautiful things.

Whole Foods has just started showing the Easter goodies. Every once in a while we are lucky enough to get some stuff from Knipschildt. Those remain my favorite; the presentation and flavors are simply mind-blowing.

5. andrea says:

Although it is my guess that we here in US have a greater selection of Easter sweets….it is not the quantity but the quality that counts. Germans (and French) have such a delicacy of chocolates for Christmas and Easter that it is almost painful to think about….walking down the aisle of our town’s grocery store is frightening. There is little creativity…just the same ol’ chocolate wheel reinvented. :)

6. tanya says:

I love the bunny with the basket on his back. Thanks for documenting the variety of easter chocolate in Zurich. I love it!

7. Kelleyn says:

Hi! I just want to tell you that I love your blog. The images are beautiful!!! My family lived in St. Gallen last summer. The Easter section makes me wish for the kids to be in Switzerland. The bunny prezel is so cool. Thank you!!!

8. Ilana says:

Quail eggs?! Yum! I’ve got to find those in NY. Thanks for sharing!

9. CrossRoads says:

Ohhh my hat is off you, chere Kerrin. What a rich and delish post is this one, that I would not suppose to meet so appetizing post:) Perfetta vero!
    Well, what I hope to find in my Easter basket? Fresh berries. Yeap, I love them.
    Easter and beginning of Spring are those go hand in hand:) Sad to see that Spring is not yet arrived in your sweet part of the world. Hope this not worries you but it’s 20 degrees Celcius here, and pretty ready to wear my flip-flops. Unexpectedly earlier arrival of hot days in the town, and I’m more than saying happier. Feel good, feel the sun getting into my body, feel the energy on air. All is good indeed.
    My bright wish going to you that you share the joy of Easter time w/your family and friends.

10. Tudor Bran says:

Chocolate bunnies … Easter … I can’t wait though I’m pretty sure I won’t find chocolate like this in Romania :(

11. Jean - OurExplorer Tour Guide says:

Gee. that’s too cute to eat. Neither ears or feet. :)

12. Matt says:

Great picture of the peep. I haven’t had a peep in 10 years. Reminds me of a high school prank where we would “peep” each others cars, once they dry they are impossible to get off…

13. christelle is flabbergasting says:

J’aime particulièrement les lapins jaunes “Peeps” cul-de-jatte ! Ils sont à la fois mignons et scary ! ;) Joyeuses Pâques à toi !