Passover: a Seder and a Sundae

I am trying to calm my excitement while I write this post.  Passover begins tonight at sundown, Wednesday April 8th.  This is the Jewish holiday best known for its rule against eating leavened foods.  (Sounds pretty exciting, huh?!)  In their place, we eat paper thin, square sheets of matzoh, made from just flour and water, baked for 18 minutes – and not a second longer.  You can eat just about everything on these matzoh, think of them like crackers – salted butter, cream cheese and lox, fruit jam, etc. I remember, as a child, making grilled cheese matzoh sandwiches and matzoh tuna melts, while my sister’s favorite was matzoh pizza.  There are people who love matzoh and eat it all year round.  I’m part of that group, especially when I’m being served my Grandfather’s matzoh brei – fried matzoh with eggs, pretty much the Passover equivalent of French toast or scrambled eggs and matzoh.  Even more, I’m especially a member of that group when said matzoh is hidden beneath layers of golden butter caramel and creamy dark chocolate.

Mocha Matzoh Buttercrunch

Seems that nowadays, there are lots of recipes and versions of matzoh buttercrunch around, the deliciously irresistible dessert that transforms matzoh into a light and crispy, delectably sweet, chocolate covered concoction.  I make it every year, and this year is no exception.  It’s real simple, fast and everyone loves it, Jews and non-Jews alike.  I always use dark chocolate, but sometimes drizzle that with milk or white chocolate as well, for a fun presentation.  This time it was mocha matzoh buttercrunch. I used a bar of dark chocolate made with crushed coffee beans. But that’s not why I am so excited.

Mocha Matzoh ButtercrunchMocha Matzoh Buttercrunch

Listen up, here’s the best part.  It comes after you make the dessert.  You’ve cooked the caramel to a golden and bubbly mixture.  You’ve poured that over your sheets of matzoh, that fit together like a puzzle on your baking sheet.  You’ve baked that and drizzled chocolate all over it.  You’ve spread the melted chocolate, so that not a trace of matzoh or caramel is visible.  You’ve sprinkled it with sea salt (Maldon being my salt of choice here).  You’ve even let that cool before cutting it into small squares or irregular chunks.  Ok, so you stole a piece to taste too. Now… get ready.  What is left before you is a baking sheet with parchment paper and a whole mess of crumbs.  YES! That’s it, that’s the very best part!!  Tiny little pieces of caramel and chocolate and matzoh crumbs. Don’t even think of throwing this all away. Rather, go ahead, bunch some up with your fingers and taste it.  Better yet, grab a spoon.

Mocha Matzoh ButtercrunchMocha Matzoh ButtercrunchMocha Matzoh ButtercrunchMocha Matzoh Buttercrunch

Best of all, serve yourself a bowl of ice cream.  I happened to have a pint of coffee ice cream, my favorite.  Pour the chocolately, caramelized matzoh crumbs all over it, and you will have just prepared yourself the most delicious ice cream sundae ever.  You’ll be wishing it were Passover all year round.

Mocha Matzoh ButtercrunchMocha Matzoh Buttercrunch

I’ve got tons of ideas for next year already… I’m thinking, forgo my traditional squares of matzoh buttercrunch.  I may just serve individual ice cream sundaes instead.  What will you be doing with your matzoh??

Either way, wishing those who celebrate, to you and your families, a very happy Passover !

Mocha Matzoh Buttercrunch

2-3 sheets of matzoh
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (85 grams) light brown sugar
1 cup (100 grams) chopped chocolate, coffee flavored
handful of Maldon salt crystals (or other large grain sea salt)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Line a baking sheet with tin foil and then parchment paper on top of that. (Facilitates clean up later!)  Lay 2 sheets of matzoh side by side and break extra pieces of another to fit like a puzzle, as evenly as possible.

Combine butter and brown sugar in a saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Cook another minute or two, while continuing to stir.  Remove from heat and pour over matzoh. Smooth over matzoh and spread to all edges.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, checking every now and then to make sure the caramel is not burning. (You can always lower the oven further to 325 F/165 C).

Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate over caramel. Wait a few minutes for it to melt, and then spread evenly.  Sprinkle flakes of salt.  Let sit for another few minutes, then while still warm, break into squares or odd shapes. Keep in the refrigerator.

Oh, and don’t forget those crumbs!

Mocha Matzoh Buttercrunch

27 Responses to “Passover: a Seder and a Sundae”

1. Jack says:

oh very nice job…I actually just made a tart with caramel and chocolate…not intended for passover of course, but the flavors were lovely together…your version looks very nice…I’ll have to give it a try – especially that ice cream bit! Happy Passover by the way…

2. Sam Sidney says:

You are so funny that you love Passover, not a surprise! I wasn’t too excited about it, except that recipe looks phenominal and especially broken up over ice cream! How divine… and yes, I totally remember the matza pizzas@ Happy Passover Y’all! xoxox

Oh how crunchy…..how sweet…..how fabuous a dessert for Passover. I can’t wait to taste the matzoh crunch….it is coming right out of the computer. Love it…..
    Love the photos especially two of them…the ingredients shot and the delicious crunch with coffee ice cream. I’m drooling….want it now…..Have a sweet Passover!!!!

4. Aprille - The Muddled! says:

I am not Jewish but fell in love with “Jew Food” while privately cooking for a Rabbi in my area for several years. I cooked Shabat meal for he and lots of guest every week. My family is now a huge fan of matzo ball soup and “raisin challah Jewish toast” (not French) lol.

Question, do you have a good Kugel recipe? Every once and a while this friend of theirs would bring over Kugel with apples and MAN I should have gotten that recipe! Your Matzo cruch looks fabulous!! Happy passover!

5. kristi says:

ohhh….this looks so delicious.
    going to have to try it out.
    thanks for sharing!

6. Sy & Muri says:

Read your wonderful recipes and would love to try them especially making matzoh brie. Thank you for taking us thru BadenBaden and the Black Forrest.
    Have a sweet Passover and hope we will too.

7. Julia says:

Kerrin – happy Passover! Your post has brought back a few memories. Have a (sort of) funny story about some matzo that turned up six months after being hidden during a Seder. There weren’t actually any kids around at the time so can’t blame them for not finding it on the night. It was just a bit of tradition to hide it, mostly I think to share with me everything so new. I think we all got a bit sidetracked with all the wine you *need* to consume during the Seder. (It was my favourite Jewish holiday!) But must confess, I never saw matzo done in this way before. Very delicious. Do you usually make anything else? I was actually going to whip up some coconut macaroons (two o’s version), in honour of this holiday – even though I don’t celebrate it anymore. Matzo unfortunately is not something I can easily get my hands on here in Brisbane….

8. Kelleyn says:

Funny they just made something similar to this on Martha Stewart today. I am not Jewish, but at this time of year I always make a flourless chocolate cake and Macaroons drizzeled with chocolate. I will have to try this recipe.

9. Passover: Liberation and Chocolate « A Rockridge Life says:

[...] possibly the most pleasurable part of the seder meal (and any meal): dessert!  Kerrin Rousset of Kugelhopf has posted the most mouth-watering delectable matzoh-sweet explosion.  In the vein of many of my chocolate posts of late (here and here; reviewing chocolates such as [...]

10. Uncle Beefy says:

I will tell you what…I would pass on the Peeps any day for me to have some of your Matzoh goodness, Kerrin! I’m dyin’ over here!

Have a wonderful Passover!

THANK YOU JULIA. I’m reading your comment and then yell out: “oh no, the Afikoman.” (each year we too hide the Afikoman or piece of matzoh for the youngest to find). Completely forgot about it, and there’s no telling how long it would have remained hidden (in one of our art books). Oy! :) And Kerrin, another fantastic post. Thanks. Great pictures and a mouthwatering treat we absolutely MUST try this Passover. Happy holidays to all.

12. Cara @ Big Girls, Small Kitchen says:

That looks absolutely mouth-watering. Coffee heath bar is my favorite ice cream flavor (or was before matazoh crunch (http://www.biggirlssmallkitchen.com/2009/04/working-with-what-you-have-anti-vanilla.html) came along. This takes both to the next level!

13. { Chocolate chunk coconut macaroons } « Mélanger :: to mix says:

[...] of the modest coconut macaroon.  Kerrin from MyKugelhopf recently made an outrageously rich matzoh dessert for Passover.  Passover seemed the perfect time to whip up a batch of coconut [...]

Jack, thanks for the Passover wishes. After the holiday, I’d sure love to try your caramel chocolate tart!

Aprille, thank you as well. I LOVE that you call your raisin challah Jewish toast !! Perfect indeed. That must have been difficult to cook for a rabbi – so many rules and regulations no? I’ll have to ask my mother to part with her kugel recipe… I always take care of the sweet side of things, and leave the savory to the rest of the family! ;)

Julia, your story is hysterical !! I can’t believe they found the Afikoman (literally means “dessert” by the way) 6 months later, ha ha!! Love it! I bet that happens to more families out there too. Like…. Steve’s! Steve, I’m so glad Julia was able to remind you about yours! :) Hope you remembered which art book it was in…!

And Julia, I saw those coconut macaroons on your site, they look phenomenal. Time to whip up a batch here, now that all our matzoh buttercrunch is gone! :(

Kelleyn, I bet your desserts turned out great – they sound delicious for a Passover table, and for any day of the year really!

Cara, I’m with you on coffee heath bar ice cream. I said coffee was my favorite flavor ice cream above, but that’s only because I wasn’t thinking about coffee heath bar! :)

Thanks again to all for the happy Passover wishes !! And a happy Easter as well to those who celebrate !

15. Sabriena says:

Last night I made matzah toffee chocolate crunch… but as i was cleaning up I remembered what you wrote…and i now have a clear plastic bag in my fridge of toffee chocolate bits that I will sprinkle on homemade whipped cream tonight for the dessert I am making for my guests.

good tip!!

Happy Passover !

16. marina villatoro says:

I love matzah!!! love it. I had no idea there were this many recipes with it.
    thanks! happy passover!
    The Travel Expert(a) and an Expat with a Twist

17. Jean - OurExplorer Tour Guide says:

After so many steps, still can have the best “tiny little pieces of caramel and chocolate and matzoh crumbs”. That sounds really nice and luring. :D

local guides, local wisdom

18. Aprille - The Muddled! says:

Kerrin – I definitely learned a lot about Jewish culture working for him but I really got off pretty easy in the cooking department for the most part as he is the Rabbi of a Jewish Reform temple. His daughter kept Kosher so that was challenging sometimes. I cooked Passover for 4o people one year! (my 1st passover!) My biggest challenge was actually expanding their culinary horizons so to speak. When I came they had the exact same sort of boring meal every sabbath. When I left I had them shopping for fresh produce they had never heard of and making things they never thought they would try. In exchange I took back a greater knowledge and appreciation for wine and an expanded world view. It was a great 4 years and I love that family. http://musingsofthemuddled.blogspot.com/2008/12/mmmm-jew-food.html

19. Julia says:

Kerrin, I didn’t know Afikoman means dessert. Well, there you go! I’m sure the missing Afikoman saga happens to a lot of people, too. (Oh, and Steve, glad I could be of help!!) I think there should be an official “Afikoman reminder” as part of Passover. You know, like on the last day at sunset you must *search and recover any outstanding Afikoman*?

BTW, I hope you made the macaroons. :)

20. Solo Road Trip says:

the chocolate matzah buttercrunch does get my attention, but the fried matzah with eggs (matzah brei) always stops me in my tracks. Yikes! Happy Belated Passover. Can I say happy Shvi’i shel Pesach? P.S. I changed my moniker, I’m going through an identity crisis right now. Hope you know who this is.

Aprille, I can not imagine your very first Passover seder – that alone would be overwhelming. Nevertheless being the cook of it! Oh, and for FORTY guests!! Wow! Talk about a delicious feat! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story. What a wonderful experience you (and that family) had, one that will stay with you all forever I am sure. Thanks for the link too, love the matzoh balls on steroids, ha ha!

Julia, great idea… an Afikoman reminder. Why didn’t anyone think of that before?! Love it! Sadly, I didn’t have a chance to make those macaroons, but you can bet I will be soon. Doesn’t have to be Passover for that scrumptious recipe!

Tammie, no worries on the moniker. Of course I know who it is! Thanks for the belated Passover wishes. Glad this one stopped you in your tracks. And now I know that the following post did even more!!

22. Danielle says:

I made chocolate matzah buttercrunch from this post recently for a dinner party (for mostly non-Jews) and it was a BIG hit! Everyone loved it and kept eating more, including me. I will definitely use this recipe again. Thanks for sharing!

23. katy says:

yum yum yum. my southern friend makes this with saltines – she calls it Cracker Candy . . . you have to imagine it with a southern accent – Cracka Candy -

Katy, that is so funny — your friend’s Cracka Candy ! It must be delicious – Saltines are so light and crispy and salty too — all very addicting when matched with caramel! Mmmmm!

25. Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels says:

Matzo reminds me of something we eat in Sardinia, called pane carasau. It’s also paper-thin and crunchy, and we use it in all kinds of different ways. But I surely never thought of using it for a Sundae! Great post.

26. marilyn says:

I tried this and sprinlked toffee bits on top of the melted chocolate. Delicious! Thanks for this delicious recipe.

27. 100 Matzoh Recipes | Leite's Culinaria says:

[...] But what I’m most interested in are the crumbs when you cut into it. That is the best ice-cream topping right there. You’ll wish it were Passover all year round! —Kerrin Rousset, blogger at My [...]