Fruit Roll-Ups for Adults (and Kids too!)

Rhubarb Roll Ups

You all probably know by now that I have a real fondness not just for sweets, but also for markets!  Every city I visit, I always love to visit the local market.  You can learn so much from seeing the people interacting with the vendors, the different products they have and how they’re presented.  You can simply get lost in the rainbow of colors.  I am all about taking advantage of what is in season too: I jumped at the first arrival of fresh figs in September, got awfully excited about my discovery of mini kiwis in October, ate a few blood oranges a day in March and now – it’s all about rhubarb!

I have already made a compote with rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries, a rhubarb tart with this cornmeal crust, and dreamed about my favorite rhubarb raspberry sorbet with grenadine syrup that I used to make when living back in the states.  Zoom in on my ice cream maker in the attic with its American plug!  I had a similar rhubarb explosion several years ago when a friend gave me several pounds of the longest, brightest stalks from his farm in upstate New York.  Armed with more rhubarb than I ever could have asked for, it was a rhubarb weekend for me! Rhubarb jam, rhubarb upside down cake (mmm, I should make that again!) and rhubarb leather.  Leather?  Think Fruit Roll-Ups!  Ah yes, I can remember finding those in my lunch box as a kid, pulling back the plastic on those fruity sheets and eating them in all sorts of fun ways!

Back then, I would have loved the color of my rhubarb leather today.  I can’t believe how red the rhubarb stayed even when cooked down this time.  It usually takes on some of the green color of its interior, and so adding a touch of red by way of strawberries or a red-colored syrup helps.  As for the Fruit Rolls-Ups for adults, have fun with the recipe below and add a few drops of Grenadine liqueur if you want.  A nostalgic recipe with a twist! Whatever you do, it’s real simple.  All you need is rhubarb, sugar, an oven and time.

Rhubarb Roll UpsRhubarb Roll UpsRhubarb Roll UpsRhubarb Roll UpsRhubarb Roll UpsRhubarb Roll Ups

Rhubarb Roll-Ups

1/2 pound (250 grams) rhubarb, trimmed
2/3 cup (150 grams) sugar

Chop rhubarb in to chunks and put in casserole over low heat. When it starts to release its juices, add the sugar. Continue to cook gently until the sugar has dissolved. Turn the heat to medium/high and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the rhubarb is very soft and broken down, and all excess liquid has evaporated. Let the mixture cool a little bit.

Optional steps: You can put the rhubarb into a blender or food processor for an even smoother purée. I chose not to, and left some visible traces of fruit. You can also add a few teaspoons of any liqueur or syrup for extra color and flavor. My rhubarb was so bright pink, it didn’t need a thing.

Preheat the oven to its lowest setting (ideally around 175 degrees Fahrenheit / 80 degrees Celsius). Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the rhubarb purée in an even layer, as thin as you can. Bake – or really, dry – in the oven for about six hours, or even overnight, until it’s firm and it doesn’t stick to your finger when you touch it.  Peel the leather from the foil and cut into squares, rectangles or triangles.  Cover with cellophane or parchment paper and roll for that perfect replica of the classic Fruit Roll-Up !

22 Responses to “Fruit Roll-Ups for Adults (and Kids too!)”

Oh…..rhubarb!!!!! What about standing on line at Briermere Farms in the Hamptons! The rhubarb pies were extraordinary! You introduced me to this flavor and I thank you! Taking in all the aromas of the fresh baked pies. Seeing all the fresh vegetables and fruits at the stands…..oh my! I do also recall as a child you making such sticky concoctions with the fruit rollups.

2. kelleyn says:

Looks yummy!

3. MsGourmet says:

These look absolutely fabulous! Such a clever idea and so full of real fruit!!

Lani, mmmm Briermere Farms, they have the very best pies ever! I loved their strawberry rhubarb pie, but I have to say, my favorite of theirs was the blackberry pie in fact.

But, me? Sticky concoctions with fruit roll-ups?? No way ! ha ha!!

MsGourmet, thanks so much! You make a great point too — totally full of real fruit. These are way healthier than their commercial equivalents with who knows what else as ingredient. Enjoy !!

5. Angela @ A Spoonful of Sugar says:

These look awesome! I used to love fruit roll-ups when I was a kid but they taste so artificial these days. Making your own—and out of rhubarb! My favourite!—is such a great idea.

6. Saddleshoos says:

So cool for summer! Excellent!

Ohhh, I wouldn’t have even thought to make something like this. Delicious. And I’m with you re: markets. I love people watching and observing interaction. Markets really do tell you a lot about a place. As it’s getting cooler here, I’m eyeing off the rhubarb in stores to make lovely tarts and pies. I can’t say I’ve ever eaten too much. Maybe when I was younger actually. I think my mum was quite partial! :)

Ok, Kerrin, seriously…I need to make this treat for my 2 year old! Not only are rhubarbs healthy, they are yummy, too.

9. Shaun says:

I have a personal question and this is as good a place to ask it as any….. what does your husband weigh?

Ha ha, good question Shaun !! My baking alone should have us each at roughly 500 lbs ! ;) But contrary to nutritional, biological or metabolical logic, he’s quite thin – and awfully lucky too !

11. Rhubarb: Part Deux « says:

[...] Rhubarb Fruit Roll-Ups {via My Kugelhopf} [...]

12. Lizounette says:

Hi, Kerrin, I made these and left them in overnight, and mine were a disaster – they wouldn’t separate from the foil. Did you use nonstick spray or parchment paper rather than plain aluminum?

Oh no, Lizounette!! I am so sorry to hear that you had a rhubarb disaster!! :( There were a few sticky ends that I had to pull at a bit slowly, but that was all. I used basic aluminum foil, but perhaps parchment paper would be better – or using a nonstick spray as you suggested. Perhaps best of all – a Silpat (baking mat).

My other thoughts are … did you use enough sugar? That helps to firm up the puree. Otherwise, depending on your oven, you could add an hour to the baking time (or use a higher temperature) to fully dry out the puree. My guess would be that yours was not completely dried out yet, hence the stickiness. You know it’s ready if when you touch it, it doesn’t stick to your finger and it feels pliable.

Sorry again, I hope these tips help.

14. Lizounette says:

Merci beaucoup, Kerrin. Je vais l’essayer le prochain fois avec une “Silpat.”

I’m not sure about the sugar. I think perhaps I had not spread it evenly and therefore had too thick of a layer in some areas, and then “hard crack” candy-type results in other areas. I appreciate your feedback though, and next time I try it out I will definitely try with your tips.

15. Jessica says:

Wow. This looks interesting indeed. I love rhubarb and am making a rhubarb crumble as I type… 5 minutes left before the ding… but I think I would be afraid of making a roll-up. Looks good though!

16. US Trip says:

OMG… I haven’t had a fruit roll up in yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrsssssssssss…
    Thank You Very much for the recipe.I will try it

17. Twitted by BridieMacdonald says:

[...] This post was Twitted by BridieMacdonald [...]

18. Mackenzie says:

Hey Kerrin, I love the recipe and plan on trying it out!

As an FYI, there’s a company that makes fruit rollups with real fruit…although they don’t have rhubarb, they are really good and healthy (always a plus)! Their website is http://www.joraycandy.com. You should check it out!

-Kenzie

19. Cleanroom Supplies and Design says:

AAHHH!!! Fruit rollups are the best snack around and now they are healthly. Can not what to try them out.

Mackenzie, glad you love the recipe – be sure to let us know how your fruit rolls up turn out! And thanks for the link for Joray, I’ll have to check it out for sure!

21. El says:

A great idea I would not have considered on my own. Thanks for the recipe!

22. How I Make Rhubarb Pie | Laughing Lemon says:

[...] relied on a simple compote of rhubarb and strawberries. Meanwhile, Kerrin Rousset wrote about a rhubarb ‘fruit’ roll-up in her award-wining blog MyKugelhopf. Visit some of the other major foodie sites, and I guarantee [...]