Sweet Parisian News in Zürich !

Ladies and gentlemen, Zürchers, expats and tourists alike: do I have news for you !

The Parisian institution, Ladurée – absolute temple of perfection (according to moi) when it comes to the city’s infamous macaron, also referred to as my second home when I’m on French territory – will have its very own shop here in Zürich! Now now, we must be patient.  The storefront was only just clad with its iconic pastel green logo a few days ago.  You can be sure I’ll be keeping a close eye on the progress though (an empty space for now).  As soon as those doors open, planned for this October, I’ll let you know!

Ladurée in Zürich, SwitzerlandThe new shop is on the charming streets of the old town, just off of Zürich’s famous shopping avenue Bahnhofstrasse.  It looks like the spot was made just for the French patisserie.  Nestled in between a rounded corner kiosk and a jewelry store, it will be a small boutique, selling macarons, chocolates, jam and tea.

Ladurée in Zürich, SwitzerlandI could only wonder if the quality of the macarons here would be the same as in Paris, in terms of taste and texture.  I asked Janine Bosshardt, Ladurée’s press spokesperson for the Switzerland franchises.  She let me know that the macarons are produced centrally in France, and are regularly transported to Switzerland following a rather sophisticated process.  When the Ladurée boutiques first opened in Geneva and Lausanne, macarons were delivered daily in refrigerated vehicles from France.  According to Bosshardt, “this ecologically made no sense. That?s why we were working on a system to stabilize the macarons right after their production.  After many tests, we found a solution which was more than satisfactory.  The macarons arrive in even better quality than before.”

Ladurée in Zürich, Switzerland Ladurée in Zürich, Switzerland

I suppose I’ll have to taste one or two this fall to see for myself.  Will the macarons truly be identical to those we know and love in Paris?  As Ms. Bosshardt assured me, “Definitely yes!”

In the meantime, Zürich is by no means lacking of sweets to satisfy your cravings.  Enjoy the macarons at Confiserie Baumann, Vollenweider Confiseur Chocolatier and Péclard, the latter which I’ll report on once they reopen after their summer vacation.  And of course, you can’t forget Sprüngli’s signature Luxemburgerli. Enjoy them all!

Ladurée
Kuttelgasse 17
8001 Zürich
Switzerland

Anticipated Opening: October 2009

30 Responses to “Sweet Parisian News in Zürich !”

1. Sam says:

Congratulations Kerrin! Only you would get this excited about a pasterie shop opening up! I bet that would be equivalent of Anthropologie opening Charleston for me or Pick-a-Bagel opening here for Darren! xoxox

2. Scribetrotter says:

This is good news indeed for the Zurichois! Just read that there was a Laduree cart at Orly airport… now THAT’s smart thinking!

3. katy says:

lucky you! Yipee! Looking forward to reading about their delicious opening!

Sam, this is no pastry shop – this is Ladurée ! All the more reason to get excited ! ;) Meanwhile, I wouldn’t mind an Anthropologie and/or Pick-a-Bagel opening up here too ! haha!

Scribetrotter, I heard about the Ladurée cart at Orly, absolutely a great idea. Time to book those flights then . . !

Katy, definitely lucky. I’ll share the news on the opening in a few months for sure. Can’t wait !

Ummmmmm, hello? Ladurée? Are you kidding me? I am absolutely speechless. If I didn’t need any more motivation to come visit. What will you buy first? Do I need to even ask?

6. Romy says:

Yay! I can’t wait!

7. Chris Cook says:

Between this and the H.R. Geiger bar I simply can’t find any reason to miss a visit to Zurich on my next run through Europe.

8. Uncle Beefy says:

Kerrin. Dear, sweet, Kerrin. Don’t get me wrong here. Of course, I am moderately happy for the delicious windfall that has drifted into your Zurich. But the deeper philosophical implications have clearly not been considered in your journalistic venture…. WHAT ABOUT ME?!! What am I possibly supposed to do?!! This is of no benefit to me. The best I could hope for is some behemoth of a caramel apple rolled in a bevy of godonlyknowswhat at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory! Don’t you understand? At the very least… offering your readers a tissue at the end of this post would have been a nice gesture.

Lucky bum. :)

Julia, nope, not kidding. I was speechless too when I learned. What will I buy first ?! Helloooo macaron au caramel au beurre sale ! :)

Romy, countdown is on !

Chris, no reason at all to miss a visit to Zurich, and the possibilities for walking tours you could do here are excellent. You might even forget to pay a visit to Geiger in Gruyeres !

Uncle Beefy… oh my dear Uncle Beefy, how the blog and I have missed you so. And while I do humbly appreciate your restrained happiness for this Paris breeze that will soon be whooshing my way… I have to admit – I am a bit taken aback. “What about you?” YOU ? Oh you poor thing. You couldn’t see through this seemingly simple sweet announcement to read the underlying message here . .. it WAS for you! As in… get thee to Zurich, and here’s how you’ll be rewarded! Leave those sticky apples and vegetable oil chocolates there and get on a plane! :)

Oh wait….I do remember the first time I went to Paris and had my first taste of macarons at Laduree on the Champs Elysee. It was the most delectable treat! I can’t wait until October to be able to taste all the flavors that I do remember! Their packaging is just extraordinary too! Can’t wait for you to tell me how each and every macaron tastes. Photos please….so I can see if not taste!!

11. Uncle Beefy says:

Um, I think you left out the parts about “wire transfer” & “I just bought you a round-trip ticket”. ;)

Lani, me too, I can absolutely remember my first Laduree experience ! Don’t worry, photos will come. As soon as that shop opens. . . !

Uncle Beefy, woops did I leave that out ? Wire transfer and round-trip ticket — those would be for me though, right? To hand deliver you a few macarons this fall of course… !

13. Uncle Beefy says:

Seriously? ALL that way to give me less-than-fresh macarons in Behemoth Caramel Apple territory? My dear, you may wanna brush up on your travel research. ;) Besides, I look prettier in Swiss sunlight.

Ok Uncle Beefy, you got me there. Back to my research I go then… hey, you happen to know a good travel bookstore by any chance ? ;)

15. Y says:

Oh lucky you! I’m not about to hold my breath waiting for them to open up in MY neighbourhood! :)

16. Uncle Beefy says:

Hmmm, nope. At least I can’t think of any off the top of my head. Hmmm? ;)

17. Baron's Life says:

Got something for you on my blog…check it out
    Congrats!

18. Julia says:

Yay. I am looking forward to this. I didn’t get to try out Laduree last time I was in Paris but I did try Dallyou and Pierre Herme…so I can’t complain ;) Thanks for letting us know!

19. Jackie at PhamFatale.com says:

I love Laduree macarons. When I lived in Paris, I used to go to the Champs Elysees Laduree store and get the reglisse ones; they are really amazing

20. Rebecca says:

Fabulous! Hi there. I’ve added you to my blogroll because you are clearly a part of the Wander Women tribe — there are so many of us expat women who blog but I’ve only added a few. I went to BlogHer last week thinking surely I’d meet countless expat bloggers just like us. They weren’t there! Anyway, pleased to keep abreast of sumptuous adventures via your gorgeous Web site. Thank you!
    Rebecca in Lugano

Julia, I would have said it’s worth the trip back to Paris for Laduree. But no need! :) I wouldn’t mind getting back there for Dallyou and Pierre Herme though…!

Jackie, I never tried the reglisse macarons. I’m not a huge licorice fan, but I might have to try one day. “Amazing” you say?!

Rebecca, thanks so much for your comment and for adding MyKugelhopf to your blogroll! A fellow Wander Woman indeed! I’m looking forward to seeing your site as well, and to following your adventures down south! ;)

Hi Kerrin,
    I suppose logistics of opening a store in Toronto would be difficult, so I wouldn’t expect them to open one here :( Although, how do they do it for their Tokyo store, though?? I’m just a tad bit jealous of Zurich’s fortune – having Laduree at your doorstep! Heaven!! Well, this should be more reason for me to pack my bags and head over to CH!!

Jen, Laduree and I are ready for you ! Get those bags packed !! :)

24. zbjernak says:

wow… i will definitely take a peek this weekend when i will b in Zurich….
    cant wait to try it… ur description, makes me very interested with it…

25. Marlen says:

Hello Kerrin,
    I got just as excited when I saw the storefront. I’ll be one of the first ones to visit… Most of my friends can’t understand my “food hype” (you should see the pictures of our recent London trip – all about food). I love Ladurée’s cute packagings, but I’m completely loyal to Sprüngli’s Luxemburgerli; they’re the best (not as big and chewy as all the other stuff). Vollenweider’s are pretty good as well.
    P.S. have you already checked out “Vanille&Zimt” at Neumarkt? Not only do they have delicious cookies and chocolates, but also lovely Scandinavian accessories and clothes.

zbjernak, I hope you had a great weekend in Zurich ! Did you see the storefront ?! Open in 2 months….

Marlen, you and me both! The first on line at Laduree for sure. A foodie’s tour of London sounds quite nice to me — all of my trips are all about food ! Good of you to be loyal to Sprüngli, but…. I’m loyal to Laduree ! :)

Thanks for the heads up about Vanille&Zimt, I see it just opened in Zurich, and you can bet you’ll be reading about it here soon too…!

27. Matt says:

Romy is having trouble keeping her excitement contained. I tried them in Lausanne, they are very good, but even with the fancy pants boutique presentation I think their pricing point is too high.

Matt, I’m with Romy – totally excited! :) I can not argue, they are not cheap. But you have to treat yourself to delicious little pleasures from time to time, no? Not an everyday affair, that’s for sure.

Matt, here’s an idea… share this link below with Romy and perhaps you won’t need to buy anymore macarons at all ! She’ll be making her own – WITH Laduree’s very own recipe! The secret has been revealed!

30. El says:

Enjoy! (Have one for me.)