Know Your Paris Sweet Spots ?

Every year my husband and I celebrate Christmas with his family. Luckily for me, they happen to live an hour outside of Paris. Before arriving at my mother-in-law’s home (where a fire will always be roaring, extraordinary aromas wafting from the kitchen, kids running around, a large dog barking, and fun exchanges humming about the upcoming arrival of Papa Noël – aka Santa Claus), we make a quick stop in the City of Lights to see friends. Or more accurately for me, a quick stop in the City of Sweets to keep my sweet tooth at bay… and see friends.

Out come the lists.  Lists of my all-time favorite places to revisit, some even from the first time I lived in Paris in 1999, of which I never tire. And always lists of new spots to check out. Paris is never lacking in these. Or old spots with new treats to try. I have lists of those too.  Without forgetting to mention the many new spots revisiting the classics. It just seems that no matter how long I am in Paris, it’s simply never long enough.

Ok, get your Paris memories and sweet radars ready.  Here’s a bit of trivia for you.  Below are images of some of the places I’ve been visiting over the past couple of months.  Can you identify any of the shops, and/or even the gourmandises ??  Start with the first photo below left, that’s #1. To the right of it is #2. Continue down, row by row, left to right, with the very last photo on the bottom right as #14.  That’s how you can refer to the photos in the comments.  Give it a try… there are plenty of clues – packaging color, faded labels in the background, a hint of a store front…  Bonne chance et bon régal aux yeux !  Good luck and enjoy !

Paris Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, FranceParis Sweet Spots, France

I’ll post a comment on Christmas Day identifying all of the above photos.  Until then, have fun with the Paris Sweets Pop Quiz, and try not to peek at other comments before leaving your own.

One more sweet treat to enjoy: a short film called Paris Pastry by Susan Hochbaum, an absolute masterpiece on the subject. In addition to the treats above, that I’ve also been devouring time and time again…

30 Responses to “Know Your Paris Sweet Spots ?”

1. Tweets that mention Know Your Paris Sweet Spots ? | MyKugelhopf -- Topsy.com says:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kerrin Rousset, James Robinson. James Robinson said: Know Your Paris Sweet Spots ?: Every year my husband and I celebrate Christmas with his family. Luckily for me, they ha http://url4.eu/xq4u [...]

2. VeggieGirl says:

Christmas in Paris?? How divine!

3. uberVU - social comments says:

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by MyKugelhopf: don’t just check them out – identify them too, if you can! Paris Sweets Pop Quiz: http://bit.ly/4Lsc5y

4. mom says:

OH MY……. I can recognize many of these shots. Some I have even tasted! It sounds like an awesome Christmas this year with a white Paris…..snow filled the streets and the glistening of lights with the sweets in your belly. I am so happy that you have enjoyed Pierre Herme…..etc….just love it! Thank you for your wonderful photographs….thank you….I can taste each and every one of the treats….

5. bethany says:

I can’t guess…except maybe #3 is pierre herme? Anyway they all look lovely and glad to see you are enjoying yourself and always satiating that sweet tooth! x

6. The Cooking Ninja says:

I see lots of macarons, different types of chocolates, brioche aux pralines, paris brest, & eclaire. :)

7. food lover kathy says:

Love the pics! Wish I was there to eat all these, too! OK, so here’s my list (please excuse my French spelling mistakes)
    #1 Three Pierre Herme patisseries–Macaron Ispahan, Plentitude & 2000 feuilles
    #2 Pralus Patisserie’s Pyramide Tropique
    #3 Chocolates from Patisserie Sadaharu Aoki
    #4 Patisserie des Reves
    #5 Chocolates from the Chocolatier Debauve & Gallais
    #6 La Praluline from Pralus
    #7 Patisserie Gerard Mulot & his delicious macarons
    #8 Eclair au Chocolat from Jacque Genin (I think)
    #9 Pink box and a Paris Brest-like pastry from Gerard Mulot
    #10 Inside the chocolatier Debauve & Galllais
    #11 Stephane Secco Boulangerie
    #12 I think these are Pierre Herme’s “holiday” truffle macarons
    #13 Macaron tower but from where? (I’m stumped)
    #14 Chocolate “Boite Smiley” from ??? Patrick Roger

Lists? Someone say lists? My nose was practically snuck to my laptop screen as I read this post. Know your Paris sweet spots? Well, I think I do, but ALWAYS happy to find more! Yes, always happy to expand my list – and waistline at the same time, bien sur! ;)

Okay, I’ll be back. Have a few of these but need to do some ‘research!’ :)

9. Mowie @ Mowielicious.com says:

I haven’t a clue my love. All I see is NOM NOM NOM! Especially those macaron towers!!! You’re such a tease and I love it =) x

foodloverkathy…you did some amazing job! Wow…..

11. Nazgulia says:

Me and not to be able to identify the name of the 1# image?!!!! Just not Possible!!!!!
    2000 feuilles, Ispahan Macarons, Plentitude, and all from Pierre Hermé!!!!!

As yesterday, a famous photographe whom i know and whom i spent a great time with, made me a marvellous speach about all these pattiseries just before tasting them, that i just couldn’t not recognise them.

We all love you and your extraordinary art.
    Va de l’avant!!!!

I have been scratching my head trying to figure these out. I have some of the obvious ones – PH and Gerard – but none of the rest. My Paris sweet spot knowledge is obviously too poor for words.

I think I’d have to sit next to Kathy in my exam! ;)

13. Daily Spud says:

I’m not even going to try to guess – it’s been too long since I’ve been to Paris! I really must remedy that and visit some of these places in person. Enjoy your visit and your Christmas revelling.

ok, you’re the queen of sweets, dear. i think i only recognize debauve & gallais. is aoki’s shop there too? (just guessing here). is that boulangerie Poujaran or Poilane? i want to know the answers please!!

oh my gosh, food lover Kathy is a contender !!

I don’t care if Food lover Kathy is correct or not. I’m genuinely impressed with her knowledge of Paris sweet spots. Go Kathy! Next time i’m in Paris, can the 3 of us walk around town? Between you and Kerrin, I’m good for at least 5 pounds of extremely satisfying and happy extra weight :)

17. Hilda says:

OK, by column here’s what I think:
    Left hand side:
    PH, Aoki, Debauve, Mulot, Mulot, Secco, Mulot.
    Right hand side:
    Pralus, Conticini, Pralus, Genin, Debauve, PH, Roger
    I love your pictures btw. Seems like if I licked them, I’d be standing in those shops ordering.
    Très joyeux Noel! (sorry I dunno where the umlaut is on this keyboard)… =)

Thanks everyone for the great comments and sweet guesses ! 4 more days until I reveal the answers…

food lover kathy, great list ! You do know your Paris sweet spots, that’s for sure. You’ll have to check back on the 25th to see how your list matches up !

Nazgulia, merci pour ton super mot ! Next time I’m going to treat you to that Plénitude – but just for you, you won’t have to share with anyone ! :) Miam miam…

19. Andrea says:

I am an unfortunate ignorant of the Parisian’s sweet hot spots. Now with that said..I anticipate adding them to my own list of stops the next time I get to Paris. Have a great holiday everyone and Kerrin!

20. honey living says:

lovely pictures, as always!

21. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella says:

Amazing! I can recognise some of the shops but not all! How magical to be in Paris for Christmas too :D Thanks for sharing the sweet spots with us!

22. Jamie says:

Wow! I should really have come into Paris and spent a day with you! Gorgeous pics and sadly it has been too many years since I lived in Paris to recognize these places although some look familiar. Gorgeous and now I want chocolate!

23. Barbra says:

Oh, Kerrin, you’ve convinced me to give it a shot, the drawback being that I now want to eat all of these things and I can’t because I am in California! I need a câlin :(

1. An assortment from Pierre Hermé (that’s Ispahan in the foreground)
    2. Pyramides at Pralus
    3. Chocolates from S. Aoki
    4. The display at Pâtisserie des Rèves
    5. Chocolates from Debauve & Gallais
    6. The Praluline from Pralus
    7. Gerard Mulot
    8. Eclair from Genin
    9. The Paris-Brest from Pâtisserie des Rêves.
    10. The display at Debauve & Gallais
    11. Secco
    12. Macarons at Pierre Hermé
    13. Macarons at Gerard Mulot
    14. Stumped, though pretty sure it’s not Patrick Roger…It’s not Jadis and Gourmande is it?

Barbra, my fellow Paris sweets expert, how could you not play?! :) Nice list here… answers to be revealed in just a few more days. Now… about that câlin you need – I went to Pierre Marcolini after your awesome write-up on those chocolates and planned on getting a sachet of just those to taste. < < Non. >> During holidays, minimum box is like 36 chocolates !! The lady saw my disappointment and offered me a free câlin – er, a chocolate, that is. ;) I could easily go back and buy a box of 36 câlins, they really are that good. Thanks for the tip, and enjoy Cali !

25. Kitchen Butterfly says:

The only thing I knew, without a flutter was that the first set of macarons had to be Pierre Herme….and then I saw the second… Anyhow, my geography of Paris food shops is non existent, though I know G.Detou, Bruno’s and a few others:-)

26. Gourmet Traveller says:

I think I see Mariage Freres, Debauve et Gallais and Pierre Herme. Not sure about the rest but they look absolutely delicious.

27. SwissTwist says:

What an awesome post! I’m in the TGV on my way to Paris for the very first time!!! I hope I get to see and try some of these yummy looking treats :-)

Thanks to all who took a shot at the Paris Sweets Quiz and shared your sweet souvenirs. Here are the images identified, going row by row (from the top), left to right.

1 Pierre Hermé – Ispahan, Plénitude & 2000 Feuilles
    2 Pralus – Pyramides des Tropiques
    3 Pâtisserie Sadaharu Aoki – assorted ganaches
    4 Pâtisserie des Rêves (Philippe Conticini’s new shop)
    5 Debauve & Gallais – assorted chocolates
    6 Pralus – La Praluline
    7 Gérard Mulot – macaron selection
    8 Jacques Génin – éclair au caramel
    9 Pâtisserie des Rêves – Paris-Brest
    10 Debauve & Galllais
    11 Boulangerie-Pâtisserie Stéphane Secco
    12 Pierre Hermé – macaron chocolat et foie gras
    13 Gérard Mulot – macaron pyramid
    14 Chocolaterie Joséphine Vannier

Big congrats & félicitations to Barbra for 13/14 !! Vannier wasn’t an easy one, sorry ! ;) And BIG honorable mentions to food lover kathy and Hilda. You all know your Paris sweets for sure ! You deserve a visit to all of the above !! :)

29. Juan Joel says:

Like what you did. Wishing you a very happy and prosperous new year !

30. Ilana says:

Thank you for taking me back! The entries get better and better. Mouth-watering words and pictures. I just have to remember to not read them on an empty stomach!!! ;)