Laduree’s Sweet Recipes – Now in English!

Ladurée Sucré: The Recipes

It was back in July of 2009, with the excitement of a child, that I announced the sweet news that Zürich would have its very own Ladurée boutique. I nearly jumped out of my seat when I found out, being a loyal fan for over a decade. So you can just imagine how high I jumped at the opportunity to actually translate the new Ladurée cookbook! But first, back to the story we go…

In the fall of 2009, the Ladurée shop opened in Zürich’s old town just off of the bustling avenue Bahnhofstrasse, and the iconic pastel bags could be spotted left and right. I shared my surprise at seeing the extensive product line, including playing cards and cosmetic products, but simply stuck to the macarons and guimauve (marshmallows).  There was something else I had my eye on though… Ladurée’s Pastry Chef Philippe Andrieu came out with a cookbook (in French), sharing his classic dessert recipes- a gorgeous tome, elegantly presented in a box that I had even mistaken at first for a box of macarons.  This book quickly became part of my collection thanks to my belle-mère in France.  But friends and readers kept asking, “when will it be coming out in English?”

Ladurée Sucré: The RecipesLadurée Sucré: The RecipesLadurée Sucré: The RecipesLadurée Sucré: The Recipes

One day, my question was finally answered in a funny twist of fate.

Not only did I find out when the English version would be coming out, but I found out who would be the translator? ME!

And so the adventure began: living, breathing, working and dreaming Ladurée recipes. This was the “sweet project” I mentioned to you all back in April that took so much of my time, it even kept me from my usual visits to the markets. But a dream project it was, one that I was thrilled to be working on. My time was spent thinking about éclairs, pastry cream, ice creams and sorbets, brioche and madeleines, not to mention temperatures, gas marks, grams, cups and ounces. What else you wonder?  Ladurée’s famous macarons, bien sûr.  Yes, the famous recipe is revealed! Four macaron recipes are in the book: almond, raspberry, lemon and chocolate.  There are all together about one hundred dessert recipes, all photographed by the talented Sophie Tramier.

Ladurée Sucré: The Recipes is available in bookstores around the world and online. If you get a copy, I’d love to hear about what you’re baking…

Even before getting the assignment, my copy of the book already had a dozen pages marked for recipes I wanted to try.  The first, without a doubt, was the kugelhopf (kouglof being Andrieu’s spelling of choice).  Ladurée’s kouglof is a mini version of the traditional yeast-risen brioche, made with golden sultanas from South Africa and drenched in an orange flower syrup. It has been one of my favorite pastries in Paris for a long time, and it was of course exciting to recreate it at home.

I’ll be in Paris this week for the Salon du Chocolat (stay tuned for the annual “not to miss list” – here’s 2009 and 2008), and to pay a visit to my all-time favorite Parisian sweet spots.  And you can be sure one of them is Ladurée, where I’ll be admiring Pastry Chef Andrieu’s creations with a whole new perspective. Hmm, I wonder if they’ll taste different too. Only one way to find out…

What Ladurée recipe would you want to try first?

~

Kouglof, by Ladurée Pastry Chef Philippe Andrieu

Makes 12 small kouglofs or 2 large kouglofs
Preparation: about 2 hours
Cooking time: 20 to 40 minutes
Resting time: 7 1/2 hours

Brioche
1 cup | 150 g golden seedless raisins (sultanas)
26 oz | 750 g brioche dough: see recipe below
3 1/2 tbsp | 50 g butter for moulds + 3 1/2 tbsp | 50 g butter for kouglofs

Orange flower-scented syrup
8 cups | 2 litres water
1 1/2 cups | 300 g granulated sugar
1/4 cup | 25 g ground almonds (almond flour)
1 1/3 tbsp (20 g) orange flower water

Sliced (flaked) almonds for large moulds
Confectioners? (icing) sugar for dusting

Equipment
12 individual kouglof moulds or 2 large kouglof moulds with a 7 1/2-inch | 19-cm diameter (Bundt pans can also be used)
Pastry brush

~

Brioche
1 Place raisins in a bowl of hot water and allow to soak for 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare the brioche dough, following steps 1 and 2 in the recipe below. Knead the dough until ready, then add the raisins (drained and dried on a dish towel).

2 As you do for brioche dough, transfer the kouglof dough to a large bowl and cover with a damp dish towel or plastic wrap, and keep at room temperature. Allow the dough to double in volume (approx. 2 1/2 hours). Return the dough to its initial volume by folding it back on itself. Refrigerate for 2 1/2 hours; while chilling, it will once again rise. Deflate it again by folding it back on itself. The dough is then ready to use.

3 Butter the moulds. If making large kouglofs, sprinkle the inside of the large moulds with sliced almonds. Weigh out 2 1/2 oz | 70 g portions for individual kouglofs, or simply divide the dough in half for larger kouglofs. Press down on each piece of dough to slightly flatten it and bring the edges toward the center to form a ball. Dip your thumb in flour and press down in the center of each ball, turn upside down and place in moulds. Allow the dough to double in volume again (approx. 2 1/2 hours) at room temperature. The higher the temperature (without exceeding 86 F | 30 C), the faster it will rise.

Orange flower-scented syrup
4 In a saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately add the ground almonds. Stir to combine. Allow to cool to lukewarm and incorporate the orange flower water.

Kouglofs
5 Preheat the oven to 350 F | 180 C | gas mark 4. Place moulds in oven and bake individual kouglofs for 20 minutes or large kouglofs for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove kouglofs from moulds and place lukewarm syrup in a bowl. Roll the pastries around in the warm syrup, or place on a wire rack and drizzle syrup over them several times. Melt the remaining butter. Using a pastry brush, brush kouglofs so that they stay soft and moist. Dust with confectioners? sugar and serve.

~

Brioche Dough

Makes 26 oz | 750 g of dough
Preparation: 25 minutes
Resting time: 5 hours

2 1/4 cups | 280 g flour (type 45)
3 tbsp (40 g) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 g) salt
1/3 oz | 10 g fresh yeast
4 eggs
12 1/2 tbsp | 180 g butter

1 Place the flour in a large bowl. Add the sugar and salt, placing on one side of the flour and the fresh yeast broken up in little pieces (using your fingers) on the other side. Important: the yeast must not come in contact with the sugar and salt before you start to mix the dough; otherwise it will lose its properties.

2 Cut the butter into small pieces. In a bowl, beat the eggs. Pour 2/3 of the eggs over the flour and begin by mixing all ingredients together with a wooden spatula. Incorporate the remaining third of the eggs little by little. Knead the dough with your hands, until it starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Add the butter and continue to work the dough until it once again pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

3 Transfer the dough to a clean large bowl and cover with a damp dish towel or plastic wrap, and keep at room temperature. Allow the dough to double in volume (approximately 2 1/2 hours). Return the dough to its initial volume by folding it back on itself.

4 Refrigerate the dough for 2 1/2 hours; while chilling, it will once again rise. Deflate it again by folding it back on itself. The dough is then ready to use.

Chef?s tips
If you have a stand mixer, make this dough in the bowl of the mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. This recipe will yield dough for 12 individual brioches (2 oz | 60 g) or 14 brioches (1 3/4 oz | 50 g). It can also make 24 mini brioches (1 oz | 30 g).

Ladurée Sucré: The Recipes

97 Responses to “Laduree’s Sweet Recipes – Now in English!”

1. Christina says:

Wow, you actually did the translating!!! That is beyond amazingly brilliant. I just found this blog via a hunt for just this book and couldnt believe what I was reading.

2. sweet tooth says:

Whoa! I’ve been looking for the BEST Gugelhopf for a long time. I will so try this one!

Question: The cake flour. Is it british or American? I mean, here in the America, cake flour has only 6-7% gluten.
    like this one:

Does it really rise with yeast? Or did you used British or any other “cake flour” ?
    thank you so much!

3. Jane says:

Well it appears that I’m coming into this conversation a bit late. I can’t wait for my copy of Laduree: Sucre, The Recipes to arrive on my doorstep. Needless to say, anything that creative, brilliant Kerrin Rousset is involved with WILL NOT DISAPPOINT. Congratulations.

Charlotte, funny timing for sure that you learned about Ladurée while your dad was in France. So you got the French edition, what do you think ? Have you baked anything yet ? Would love to hear. Enjoy !!

Christina, merci beaucoup ! So glad you found me here on MyKugelhopf. Enjoy the blog – and the cookbook ! :)

sweet tooth, oooh I can’t wait to hear what you think of this kugelhopf/gugelhopf recipe then. What others do you like ? As for the cake flour, it was important to distinguish it as cake/pastry flour instead of all-purpose. The best way to be as precise as possible is to tell you that Ladurée’s pastry chef uses French flour type 45 (and fresh yeast) in his brioche recipe. I hope that helps !

Jane, not late at all ! :) I am so excited to read here that your copy is on its way to you, and can not wait to hear what you think. I so appreciate your wonderful comment above. Many, many warm thanks.

5. Sari says:

I know I’m late to this party but wanted to congratulate you! That’s absolutely super trouper and I’m so happy for you!

6. sweet tooth says:

Thanks!
    That Really helped.
    Ash Protein Wheat flour type
    US German French
    ~0.4% ~9% pastry flour 405 45
    ~0.55% ~11% all-purpose flour 550 55
    ~0.8% ~14% high gluten flour 812 80
    ~1% ~15% first clear flour 1050 110

This chart from Wiki makes sense. I have 2 Swiss recipe, 2 German and some baking powder recipes. Your Orange flower and raisin combo sounds heavenly. Will report you back as soon as I bake.

This recipe totally convinced me to buy the book! Thank you for a great job.

7. yael says:

Hi,
    i am trying to order the book from amazon.com but there are 2 different books both with the same name and description but i cant figure out which one to order!
    Help!

Sari, thank you so much !

sweet tooth, glad I could help. And looks like you have all the info you need. So tell me… how did your kugelhopf come out ? 😉

yael, sorry for the confusion online. I just went on to Amazon.com and it looks like the English version is sold out for now. The book you want (in English) must say Ladurée Sucré: The Recipes; the other book you saw is the original in French. There are *two* English versions with different ISBN numbers, identical books, just different publishers. Look for either of these and you’ll have the English version:
    # 978-1-902686-71-4
    # 301-0-00000-626-8

Good luck, and enjoy ! =)

9. yael says:

Thanks for your help!Sorry to bug you!!

I went back to amazon.com and saw 2 different Laduree versions both it says are in english, 1, “Laduree: The Sweet Recipes” has the author as Philippe Andrieu, which is out of stock, and ISBN #978-2812300639 (it has a picture of the front of the book showing but seems to be the french isbn#) and the other “Laduree: Sucre /The Sweet Recipes” has Sophie Tramier (Photographer), Kerrin Rousset (Translator), Philippe Andrieu (Contributor), Christele Ageorges (Contributor) and ISBN# 978-2812304439,
    COULD IT BE THE SECOND ONE?
    thanks!

yael, no worries. I can see how it’s awfully confusing – all these editions and numbers, I was just getting lost myself ! 😉 In reply to your comment above, the first # you wrote IS the French version (#978-2812300639). So the correct English book must be the second one you wrote; I have never seen the book with that ISBN #, but it does have my name on it as translator, so it must be in English ! Fingers are crossed, let me know when you get it !

You could always simply click on the photo on the top of the right side bar here on the blog, and that is certainly the correct version, you’ll just order it from Amazon UK.

11. sweet tooth says:

Honestly, I was convinced this recipe wouldn’t work 😉

First, using cake flour for brioche was unheard of. But you kindly told me it’s French flour 45 hence American pastry flour.

Then, the recipe was bit difficult to follow, maybe because instruction for the brioche was in different section and I needed to convert fresh yeast to instant yeast + milk. (1/3 instant yeast + 2/3 milk = fresh yeast)
    Then, I realized this “brioche” doesn’t use any liquid. No ,milk, no water. Just eggs and butter! I was so afraid it would come out like cookie or pastry dough. And sure enough, it came out from the oven very flaky and dry… I was so disappointed because I used really good ingredients = $$$

What made it worse is the orange flower syrup. Although I’m not an American and do not like in your face American sweetness at all, the syrup is too watery. I was so convinced the end product will be something like water-soaked day-old bread for panzanella!!!!
    At this point, I already decided to forget about this recipe. After the kugelhopf was soaked in the syrup, I didn’t even bother to sit down and enjoy, because you know, why bother. I just cut a part away, standing in the kitchen and threw into my mouth and said….

“OH MY GOD!!!!!!”

Kerrin, I don’t know what to say!!
    This is an absolutely amazing, the best “Kugelhopf” EVER!

I mean, calling this cake “kufelhopf” might not even do the justice. It is just so unbelievable. The subtle scent of orange-flower, the sour-sweet raisin and the buttery, moist crumb all come together in the end to be an astounding experience.

It’s heavenly!

I’m very harsh critic and I do not give compliment this freely, you know? Geez. I feel beside myself 😉 I didn’t think I was going to buy the book (I have enough already) but totally changed my mind after one bite of this recipe.

Kerrin, thank you so much for the translation, and thank you so much for putting this recipe on your webpage.

Couple of thoughts:
    1) I did not recommend this recipe for a beginner, especially without standing mixer. There’s no way you can “knead” this soft, sticky dough. The dough is not like bread nor like cake. Very difficult to shape, too.
    2) I believe windowpane test would be needed (mine windowpained quite well)
    3) Might be easier to put the dough in the mold if the dough is at room temperature. There are a lot of air pockets between the mold/dough because the dough didn’t fill the mold’s corners well. Not sure though.
    4) make sure to pat down and even out the top of the dough before final proofing, especially if you are using mini-molds. It will proof unevenly and looks funny when comes out of oven.
    5) I’d prefer soaking raisin in the liquor for a week instead of hot water.
    6) I couldn’t use up all the syrup. And, 3/4 of the water might be ok, even for me.

Again, I highly recommend this recipe if you have made brioche before. It’s bit tricky dough to handle but it sure is worth it!

sweet tooth, WOW !! What can I say ?! After nearly having a heart attack reading your comment… I am now beaming from ear to ear ! To say I am relieved would be a serious understatement ! 😉 I really appreciate your thorough comment here, and especially your excellent tips. I hope that readers who will make this recipe will read your thoughts above. They will be very helpful indeed. I also changed the flour above in the brioche recipe to read “type 45” so that there is no misunderstanding. Again, thank you so much and I am thrilled that you loved the recipe and the kugelhopf. Enjoy the holidays and may they be extra sweet !! =)

ps – I don’t have a stand mixer, so I wouldn’t say it is absolutely necessary for the recipe. My kugelhopf turned out great, shown in the photos above.

13. sweet tooth says:

Kerrin

First of all, all the people who got the Kufelhopf was like !!!!!!!!!!
    I instantly got so popular thanks to you!

You didn’t use stand mixer? Hats off for your upper body strength! Ok, I take my words back. Maybe because I made triple batch, I needed a mixer 😉

After this tasty recipe, I read you page about Ladurée store in Zurich.
    Oh boy, this is gonna get ugly.
    You see, my fiance is from Zurich and we are both die-hard fun of Confiserie Sprüngli, especially their Luxemburgerli. And being a Swiss, he believes everything French is inferior (half jokingly) Haha. It’s show down of Ladurée vs. Confiserie Sprüngli we go back to Zurich next time… blind tasting their macaroons 😉

Oh, one more thing to add;
    soak in syrup while cake is warm. If you do it after it cools of, it does taste like sweet panzanella. And you can even squeeze (sort of) out excess syrup to prevent it from becoming a savarin-like. This “how much syrup is good” was most difficult part, I must confess.

Again, thank you for a great blog. We will be moving to Zurich in couple of years and it is so nice to get to know all the places I am interested in on one nice blog here. It helps me a lot to prepare for moving to a totally new city, knowing such a wonderful market, U-pick farm etc.

Happy xmas!

14. Chris says:

By a happy coincidence I was doing a search for Kugelhopf molds and came across your cool blog and even more fun is the fact that I have been asked to teach a class based on the new Laduree book and here you are!

I love Laduree and especially their version of the Kugelhopf which I dream of. It is the one pastry item that I bring back in quantity to Vancouver when I visit Paris (it keeps and travels really well).

Although I’m an artisan baker (mainly breads) I couldn’t resist teaching a pastry class based on this gorgeous book. I really, really hope that this recipe is very close to Laduree’s actual one as most bakeries in Paris do nice but very classic versions of Kugelhopf and I find them a bit too light.

I was lucky getting my teaching copy of the book but it looks like it’s still in reprint mode so my class will have to get photocopies of the recipes I’ll be doing.
    Nice work on the translation Kerrin!

Now if only I can track down some mini Kugelhopf molds to make them on a regular basis…..

sweet tooth, I hope you had a wonderful holiday and super sweet start to the new year ! How funny that your fiancé is from Zürich !! What a small world right, after all our exchanges on Ladurée. So I do of course understand his Swiss loyalty to Sprüngli’s Luxemburgerli ! But uh oh, my husband is French… HAHA ! A Ladurée vs. Confiserie Sprüngli showdown it will be ! =) And I’m already excited to hear about your move here in a few years… I love Zürich, hope you will too.

Chris, oh what a coincidence indeed, I love it !! Thrilled to hear how you love Ladurée and kugelhopf too – and that you’ll even be teaching a class. When is it ? Or was it ? You’ll have to let me know how it goes. And I’ve got my fingers crossed for when you bake that kugelhopf too !

I think you can find mini kugelhopf molds quite easily online, with sites like Amazon. As for the Ladurée cookbook’s availability, looks like they are in stock in the UK. If you click on the photo on the top right corner of the blog, in the side bar, you can probably order books for your students, if you’d like. Thanks for the great comment and enjoy ! =)

16. Chris says:

Hi Kerrin
    My class is actually in about a week! So no time to order more books for Canada (the cookbook store I work with is looking after that and these things happen from time to time).
    Thanks for mentioning Amazon, you’re right there are lots of choices for the K Molds (I’d like to give the flexipans a try instead of the usual metal molds).

For my class I’m planning to do the Kugelhopf, the Tarte Ananas Roti and the Abricotines (so many great choices but trying to squeeze all the techniques into a 2 1/2 hour demo class is always challenging). I’ll definitely let you know how the recipes worked out.

Interestingly, the next class I teach is from another great book “Tartine Bread” (I got to choose all my favourite places who just happen to have new books!). They also have a lovely Kugelhopf recipe that I’m dying to try.

17. sweet tooth says:

Hi Kerrin

I LOVE LOVE Zurich already by just visiting couple of times. Small, old town while cosmopolitan. People are just so nice (guess very compatible with my upbringing) and food tastes so much better than in the US, which really matters to me. I also love the fact it’s farmer’s country. And the is just so beautiful, too! I wish Switzerland will keep swizterland-ness for a long long time without Americanizing too much.

All those pictures of the markets on your site and was salivating all the way, especially the tulips after tulips! How not to love?
    I’m already very much looking forward to meet you in “our” city soon.

Chris:
    I bought my mini mold on ebay.

but i personally likes full-size. The nice pattern doesn’t come out well at all and very hard to flatten the bottom, ending up not sitting well. But hey, you are the pro!

eBay also had a nice porcelain mold in Canada for like couple of dollars (puls 20$ shipping to the US). Maybe you can try and let me know if porcelain is better or not 😉

Chris, so tell me, how did all those fantastic recipes work out ?? Bet that was a fun and totally delicious class, only wish I could have been a student ! Also hope that sweet tooth’s suggestions for molds was helpful.

sweet tooth, I am so with you – I hope Switzerland will keep its authentic and traditional ways, without too much exterior influences changing that. I love it just as it is !! And absolutely, keep in touch and let me know when you head this way. We’ll have that Ladurée vs. Sprüngli face-off after all ! :) Oh, and thanks for sharing those mold tips too.

19. Mary Westmacott says:

Love this post, so glad i found your blog, i was just reading about macaroons when i saw a post about this book, then i searched and found your great post, which is just what i was looking for, thanks again it was really helpful.I may even get to make those macaroons now one day!

20. Grapefruit Curd Tartelettes, Gluten Free says:

[…] when reading my copy of Ladurée – Sucré (en français, I’ve had this since before Kerrin so beautifully translated it into English).  A tarte shell is made up of flour, butter, sugar and […]

21. ladymacaron20ten says:

I ordered this book only just today and found your site so am now extremely excited to receive it in the post… one of the lucky last available! Congratulations on translating the book! You’ve got a gorgeous blog, I’ll have to visit more often:)

Mary, thank you ! Hope you enjoy making those macarons one day…

ladymacaron20ten, oh how fabulous that you were able to order the book – it was sold out for quite some time, but is now in a reprinting. Thank you so much for your comment. I hope you enjoy the book ! (And I am excited to discover your site too – look at all those gorgeous macarons !!)

23. MyKugelhopf: In the Sugar with Kerrin Rousset – The Paris Kitchen says:

[…] just finished translating Ladurée Sucré’s cookbook from French to English, which just came out.  I’m currently working on another translation […]

24. Le dessert alsacien par excellence « Alsace au Menu says:

[…] et elle !). Sur son blogue vous trouverez plein de merveilleuses recettes de desserts dont cette recette du kouglof de Philippe Andrieu, le chef pâtissier de Ladurée. Le processus est peut-être un petit peu long mais je vous promets […]

25. sweettooth says:

Oh god. I’ve been having the book in my Amazon cart forever but they are never available.

And can you believe it? now, a single used copy is priced at $999.
    Serious! It will buy the ticket to Paris AND Zurich to eat at the Ladurée.
    I hope (I know you don’t but…..) you are getting the cut out of this ;D

sweettooth, oh my goodness, really ?! I had no clue the book was still so difficult to find ! :( I thought they had done a reprinting of it, so it would be easily available. $999 ?!!! That’s just crazy talk. (No cuts for me, but with that price, I wish !!) Looks like it isn’t available on Amazon US – but have a look at Amazon UK:

Fingers crossed… :)

27. lostinsydney says:

hi, I came across another isbn 9782812304439 published by Hachette Livre, Editions Du Chene.
    And it has you (Kerrin Rousset) as a translator

isbn 9781902686714 was published on 1st November 2010 (Scriptum)
    isbn 9782812304439 was published on 16th March 2011 (Hachette Livre, Editions Du Chene)

I’m confused which one to get! I understand Hachette Livre published the original french isbn 9782812300639, and it looks like they have gone ahead and published english version too?
    Maybe, they forgot to tell you! 😉

lostinsydney, hello there ! Thanks so much for sharing that link and those numbers. Sorry that it’s quite confusing. My translation was published in 2010 by both Scriptum Editions and Chêne. It looks like this new one above, dated March 2011, is simply a reprint. As long as you are certain to have the English edition, it will in fact be my translation – and they are all identical. Hope you enjoy !! :)

29. lostinsydney says:

and there’s a reprint of reprint too, i think 😀

hopefully it’s not in some other language because they have this in 5 languages including french

i’ll let you know how i go!

30. Dawn says:

My husband just got me the English version of this book a couple of months ago for our anniversary. I’ve been baking like a fiend out of it ever since and blogging it along the way. I’m certainly learning a great deal and loving all of the wonderful treats that are coming out of it. Thanks for helping to bring this book to the Anglophone world!

31. Judy says:

Do you know if all other reprints are also boxed nicely as the one that you’ve shown in your picture? The ISBN 978-2812304439 seems to be the only one that I could find online that’s available for purchase for those of us in Canada, and there seems to be a reprint every few months!

32. Doris says:

The ISBN 978-2812304439 is the one I got for me and it was boxed. I recommended it to all my friends and they all ordered it and then when I went back online, it was gone again and copies were being sold used for more than $200 each. (That was the Chene edition).

I was desperately looking for it online to send to my friend in New Zealand and I found it. But I found the SCRIPTUM edition only and I had to send that.

My question: Is the one published by Scriptum boxed? I do want my friend to have something as nice as what I have.

Dawn, a very happy (and very) belated anniversary ! :) Thank you so much for your comment; it was my pleasure to help bring the book to the Anglophone world – and thank YOU for baking all the recipes and putting it online for others to see and learn more too. Super happy to read on your blog when the recipes get two thumbs up from you ! 😉 Oooh, question – what’s been your favorite recipe so far ?

Judy, all reprints and editions of Ladurée Sucré are packaged the same – in the box with tissue paper and all. I just spoke to one of the publishers a week or so ago and there is yet another reprint in process ! Enjoy !

Doris, wooh – $200 ?!! That’s crazy. Thank you so much for recommending the book to your friends, but I sure hope they didn’t pay that price ! The Scriptum edition is an identical version of the Chêne edition – inside and out. So your friend will have exactly what you have. Hope you both enjoy the book !

34. Judy says:

Thanks for the replies, Doris and Kerrin. I did order it online from The Book Depository. Waiting for it to arrive in the mail right now. I have a feeling that I will ordering one for myself too. :)

35. Athirah says:

Hi, just wondering if this book will be reprinted .. can’t find it anywhere in the internet.. cost hundreds pound over now.. :(

36. Dawn says:

Kerrin – I don’t know if I can pick a favorite! They’ve all been so wonderful. If I had to, though, I’d have to go with the Intensely Chocolate Torte. I couldn’t believe how amazing it was once all the flavors had a chance to blend. If I hadn’t made it myself, I wouldn’t have believed something like that could come out of my kitchen!

37. Doris says:

Athirah, try this link.

I know at the other places it’s gone.

38. MgB says:

I am quite confused. Found a beautiful lavender-velvet coloured bok with same name in Japan. BUT, this one has celery green cover.
    •Is it the same book but in English?
    •Is the green cover velvet?
    •Is this ONLY pastry recipeps, or are there other chapters of courses like in the lavendar covered French language book?

39. Doris says:

That must be the Laduree book with savory recipes. I have it, too. Just so that I could have both, but I don’t like it as much, inside.

Or maybe you have a combined book with few recipes, not all of them, in sweet and savory?

What language?

The one we are talking about here is the desserts book, all in English. And it’s gone from everywhere on earth, except for that link I posted above. Yes, this green only only has pastries.

40. MgB says:

Thanks Doris,
    I did not purchase the bok in Japan, as it was in French. But it had both savory and pastries in it. I was hoping to find that one someplace in English. Doesn’t sound like either of these are the same as the one in Japan. Maybe I’l just have to get both :). Thanks. ( on one page I remember there was a salad in a cucumber ring that was gorgeous! Chaaters of Beautiful pastries too.

41. Doris says:

Hey HgB, I would advise that you buy it as soon as you can from that link above. I ordered one extra just in case it disappears from that link too. In the USA, my friends have been looking for the sweets one forever now. Some people are selling it on the internet at Amazon for $200-$800…Yes, crazy. I’m not sure if the savory one is gone too. I’ll start checking that one out. Maybe I was so excited about the sweets one that I decided nothing else was as good anymore.

Dawn, I’m glad you didn’t ask me my favorite too ! 😉 Not an easy question. But I suppose I am partial to the kugelhopf ! The Intensely Chocolate Torte is certainly a fabulous choice too. Bravo for mastering it !

Judy, glad to hear you found it online. I order books often from the Book Depository – great selection and free shipping ! =)

Athirah, I hope you were able to get it at the link above that Doris shared.

Doris, thanks for all your helpful comments ! I still can’t get over those crazy prices though.

MgB, sorry for your confusion. There are two different cookbooks available in several languages (English, French, Japanese). All books with the green velvet cover in the green box are the collection of sweet recipes. The books with the purple cover in the pink box are savory recipes, but you’re right to have spotted pastry in there – they’re simply made with savory ingredients (for example, the croissant is stuffed with cheese; there’s an éclair with a smoked salmon filling; and a chestnut macaron to accompany a lamb dish.) Also, I think the salad you referred to above is the Salade Concorde. Hope you enjoy both books !

Ladurée did come out with a new book recently, called L’Art de Recevoir: a collection of 10 mini recipe books, that all fit into one beautiful box. I’ve only seen this one in French so far:

43. Kugelhopf/Gugelhopf | Around The World in a Wooden Spoon says:

[…] a yeast sponge at the beginning and also includes chopped almonds in the dough. Another excellent post is from the translator of the Ladurée Sucre recipe book. Finally, this post follows Bo […]

44. Victoria says:

There seem to be some large discrepancies between the standard and metric conversions, e.g. the financiers recipe on page 250. Which is the original recipe – the metric, I assume?

Thanks and best,
    Victoria

Hi Victoria, sorry if you have found discrepancies between the two versions. Yes, the metric is the original. That said, there were several typos in the original version (that were then corrected in the English book). Including in the recipe for Financiers, which you mentioned. Levure en poudre should be levure chimique en poudre – baking powder. I hope you still enjoy baking from the book !

46. ChrisB says:

Nice to see this thread is still alive!
    I thought I would give my feedback on making this recipe for Kugelhopf. I made it when this thread first started and I was somewhat underwhelmed with the final result compared to what iI remember taking home from Laduree in Paris.

At first I thought it might be my technique so I didn’t comment at the time but having made a few different Kugelhopf recipes in the last few months I’m confident it is the recipe that is lacking.
    Most of the recipes I have come across use milk (but not all) and they also build the dough by making a sponge before the final mix which adds character and strength to the Kugelhopf. The addition of milk enriches the dough and helps it stay fresh longer.

Kerrin, this is of course no reflection on the work you did on this book as I’m sure you faithfully translated what was given you.
    It is more a case (not that uncommon) of a famous brand putting out a book with oversimplified recipes under their name.
    Some might say “did you expect them to give you their secrets?” Perhaps yes if there is no disclaimer stating that the recipes in this book are simplified home versions and not the authentic ones.
    Hope this isn’t too harsh and please let me know if I really am missing something in my technique!

Hi ChrisB ! The thread will always be alive :) Sorry to hear you were underwhelmed by the recipe here and others in the book though. I also appreciate you recognizing that I had no control over the actual recipes. I’m just the translator (don’t shoot the messenger, haha !), and couldn’t possibly ask the pastry chef about each and every recipe about other ingredients that weren’t mentioned or techniques he really used… If you know what I mean. It’s a good question you raised – do famous chefs ever really reveal *all* their secrets ?! Impossible to know for sure. In any case, not too harsh on your part; I appreciate you writing. And I hope you can still enjoy baking from (or simply with) the book, being inspired by Ladurée.