From Sweet 2012 to Even Sweeter 2013

Happy New Year to all !

2012 was simply an extraordinary year.  It was incredibly exciting on both a personal and professional level.  Best and most important of all was my newest and most delicious sweet indulgence that I continue to devour every single day… our little girl !!  A happy and healthy baby who will absolutely have a sweet tooth like her mother when she’s older !  With her in my belly or with her in the baby carrier, my discoveries continued throughout the year: Swiss villages untouched by modern technology, chocolate brands from around the world, markets near and far and local sweet specialties wherever our travels took us.

Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012

Lots to look back on in 2012 and lots more to come in 2013…

There were chocolate tastings galore, roundups including bars from Bolivia, USA and Australia, as well as Switzerland, but of course.  There were thin cream-filled gaufres from Lille, fresh chocolate-filled breads delivered early mornings on Mljet island in Croatia, a bright green Swedish Princess Tart and an impressive tower of meringue hiding a lemon tart beneath it.  I learned that there is simply nothing more refreshing on a hot sunny day than pistachio granite, and that I prefer my brioche and gelato separate (Sicilians have them together as a sandwich – and for breakfast no less !).

I was fortunate to spend time with boulangers Jean Michel and Thierry at Poilâne bakery in Paris and with chocolatier Ivo Jud at Honold here in Zürich. And especially fortunate to spend a day with the wonderful, generous, talented and down to earth Fabrizia Lanza at her cooking school at Case Vecchie in the heart of Sicily.  Luckily my supply of nougat, Bronte pistachios and olive oil will last well into 2013, but I’m tempted to go back for more of Fabrizia’s handmade pasta and a slice (or two) of her Cassata Siciliana, not to mention a stroll around her beautiful residence and bountiful garden.

Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012

A new series developed on Instagram this past year: “back from the market with…”, sharing my day’s finds.  I’ll continue to go to the market every Tuesday and Friday morning for the freshest, seasonal, local fruits and vegetables, my favorite pretzel breads and flowers too.  My latest obsession is definitely persimmon, not the uber soft ones you eat with a spoon, but rather the crisp variety you can eat like an apple and slice like a tomato, exposing a beautiful star-like interior.

Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012

2012 also saw Switzerland’s first Salon du Chocolat here in Zürich !  It was a roaring success and I couldn’t be happier and prouder to be involved.  We’re already working on the second edition (March 22-24, 2013) and I can assure you that it will be even better than the first – tons of chocolate brands, big and small, from around the country and neighboring countries too, more delicious demos and fascinating conferences.  So mark your calendars if you haven’t already and start preparing your sweet tooth for the event !

Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012

More 2012 highlights…

* Sweetest surprise in Zürich: the opening of a nougat shop
* Biggest temptation: Bordier butter available at Globus for the holidays (I may have to start a petition for it to be permanent)
* Single chocolate I bought the most of: Lotti’s Best at Honold
* Recipe I made the most: my crunchy granola with dark chocolate and fleur de sel
* Dessert I most often prepared for friends: buffet table with several varieties of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, tubs of Giolito gelato (stracciatella, fior di latte, caffè barista) and assorted toppings
* Favorite restaurant dessert: Rainbow Cookie Hot Fudge Sundae at Kutshers Tribeca in New York City
* Best street food: kiachl in Innsbruck, Austria (unsweetened doughnuts topped with sauerkraut)
* Most unique sweet tasted: mpanatigghi (pastry filled with meat and chocolate) at Antica Dolceria Bonajuto in Modica, Sicily
* Most desired sweet I didn’t get to taste: Dominique Ansel’s Marshmallow Apple for Halloween

Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012Best of 2012

And what about you dear readers, any delicious highlights you’d like to share ?

Once again, a very happy, healthy and exciting year ahead to you all, and many sincere thanks for reading and for joining in the sweet discussion !

13 Responses to “From Sweet 2012 to Even Sweeter 2013”

1. Rosa says:

Best wishes for 2013!

Cheers,

Rosa

2. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) says:

Kerrin, that hand picture is adorable! I enjoyed following your sweet adventures in 2012 and can’t wait to see what 2013 brings. Health and happiness to you and your family!

Finally finding employment after a year of searching was definitely the sweet highlight of 2012 – now to start the job next week!

Love the equally sweet photo of you with your daughter:)

4. Kiki says:

yeah, I think I offered the very same article to a friend for her baby girl in autumn 2012…. such a cute photo, so full of meaning and love
    thank you dear Kerin for the sweet joys you brought us, so sweet that even a dedicated non-sweet-lover fell without fail for your sweet stories and wonderful pixies!
    may 2013 be the sweetest ever for you and yours!
    hugs, Kiki

5. mayssam @ Will Travel for Food says:

Bonne année Kerrin! Bisous à vous trois et j’espère qu’on se verra en 2013 :)

Have a splendid 2013!

Rosa, thank you and bonne année to you as well !

Mardi, thank you for your *sweet* words, really appreciate it. We shall see what 2013 brings – certainly more exciting and delicious adventures on your end as well ! Enjoy !!

Emma, woo hoo, congrats ! Lots of good luck for next week. I hope it will be the perfect match for you. What a great way to start the new year…

Kiki, I still can’t believe you really don’t like sweets, haha. Your words continue to put a big grin on my face, always so kind and encouraging, thank you for that. I wish you as well only happiness, good health, fun and delectable experiences – and perhaps a little sweet from time to time ! ;) Happy new year, Kiki and thank you so much again.

mayssam, bonne année ma belle ! Mais oui, faut se revoir cette année !! Bisous de nous 3 =)

jkiel, thank you, and a splendid 2013 to you and your family too !

8. Margaret says:

Happy New Year Kerrin!

Your blog always makes my day! Keep up the wonderful and inspiring work – I often use your ideas to plan trips and culinary adventures!!

9. Sarah says:

Not to mention a fantastic new website (if I do say so myself). Clikzy totally nailed the design. :)

I can’t wait to see what 2013 brings to the pages of MyKugelhopf!

10. Ilana says:

Your most wonderful creation of 2012, by far, is baby C!!!

11. kate says:

Congratulations on your Lil Swiss Miss.

Margaret, happy new year to you too ! Thank you so much for this wonderful comment, you have put a smile on my face, from ear to ear =)

Sarah, that goes without saying, but of course ! Love the new banner up top – but what gets the most raves… are the banners with belly and baby carrier !! Too good. Wishing you lots of happiness, fun fulfilling projects and much sweetness in the new year !

Ilana, by far and away ! My most wonderful creation of 2012 – and my entire life !! :) Can’t wait for our girls to meet in the spring……

kate, “Lil Swiss Miss”, LOVE it. Thank you and happy new year !

13. Yeye says:

Reading all about your sweet adventures in 2012 makes it difficult to believe 2013 will be even sweeter! But I trust you’ll get there … I’m a bit curious about the street food in austria, the “unsweetened doughnuts topped with sauerkraut”. Does not sound very yummy to me. Have you tasted it?