Postcards from New York City’s Famous Greenmarket

Union Square Greenmarket, New York CityUnion Square Greenmarket, New York City

You all know of my love for markets.  That means at home in Zürich, every Tuesday and Friday morning at my beloved Bürkliplatz, as well as the local markets in Sicily, Berlin, France’s Basque Country and really, anywhere my travels take me around the world. And right now, that means New York City.

My list of favorites and “musts” when in the Big Apple remains roughly the same year after year, visit after visit, taste after taste.  There are bagels and lox, sushi, half-sour pickles and my mom’s cooking, but of course… Shake Shack burgers, Luke’s Lobster crab rolls (got my mobsta roll this time !) and chocolate chip cookies galore (Jacques Torres, City Bakery, Tate’s Bake Shop, Levain Bakery and on this trip, add Sugar and Plumm).  Let’s not forget the lists with ice cream, ices, cupcakes, black and white cookies, pretzel croissants and more.  There’s always the search for new chocolate brands, with stores like The Meadow, Chelsea Market Baskets, Eli Zabar’s and Whole Foods being guilty for my overweight luggage when heading back home to Zürich.  And last but not least, there’s always a few obligatory visits to the Union Square Greenmarket.

Union Square Greenmarket, New York CityUnion Square Greenmarket, New York CityUnion Square Greenmarket, New York CityUnion Square Greenmarket, New York CityUnion Square Greenmarket, New York CityUnion Square Greenmarket, New York City

It’s the city’s most well-known farmer’s market, much appreciated by restaurant chefs, foodies, local residents and tourists alike.  I’m surprised that it’s only been around since 1976, when it began with just a handful of farmers; to me, it’s been here forever.

You know you’re getting the highest quality local produce, along with breads, pastries, apple cider, maple syrup, eggs, meats, flowers and some rather random items too.  There are the quirky and friendly vendors you only find in New York, not to mention some truly amazing snapshots of the city, its unique architecture making for a photogenic backdrop to the market stands’ triangular tops.  It’s all very New York: the buildings along Broadway, with so many colors, shapes, heights and personalities, water towers in the distance, yellow cabs whizzing by and pigeons sharing the pavement with market caddies.

My series on Instagram, “back from the market with…” continues in New York City, my table covered with lettuces and sprouts, bags of Martin’s Pretzels (bonus: a few dipped in single origin dark chocolate by Roni-Sue) and challah, bialys and granola from Hot Bread Kitchen, among other things.

First a fun question, then some BIG news below…

To all the Union Square market-goers, what are your favorite stands ?

* And now, some very exciting blog news to share with you all…  Saveur Magazine selected MyKugelhopf as finalist for “Best Culinary Travel Blog” in their 4th annual Food Blog Awards !!

I could not be more thrilled and honored.  And I’d be just as appreciative for your votes.  Only a day or two left to vote, until midnight EST on Friday, April 19th (here’s the link, you simply need to register real fast to vote).  Many, many thanks to everyone for your support and most of all, for following my sweet adventures !

11 Responses to “Postcards from New York City’s Famous Greenmarket”

1. Rosa says:

Lovely clicks and wonderful market! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rosa

2. Rona says:

I visit the market on Saturday and always make a point of stopping by Stokes Farm (great herbs-veggies), Rick Bishop (tri-star strawberries-potatoes-greens), Martin’s Pretzel’s, Locust Grove (quince, apples, pears, Concords, plums etc are divine), Lynnhaven goat cheese, Deep Mtn Vermont Maple Syrup. There are so many terrific stands! The market is a wonderful oasis and I’m so happy to support our local farmers.
    Love the photos -you’ve captured the best of that beautiful day.

3. Gerry says:

I voted for you. Good luck!

CONGRATS! the news is fabulous!

and magnolias…. ahhh……

5. Lizzy (Good Things) says:

Gorgeous!

6. Meister says:

My favorite place in NYC! Every Saturday morning, my squeeze, our dog, and I walk over for Finnish rye bread by local bakers Ruis (nordicbreads.com), and while he’ll usually get some fresh-baked apple-cider donuts and eat all the samples from one place or another, I’m always scoping out new apple varieties, sniffing flowers, and picking out asparagus for that night’s dinner.

I also love Roamin’ Acres for ostrich steaks, Red Orchard for juices and fruit, and Cayuga Organics for beans and flour.

<3 UnSqGreenMkt <3

Rosa, always my pleasure to share, thank YOU !

Rona, thank you so much for these delicious tips. I’ll be heading back to the market soon, will take a look for these names for sure.

Gerry, jkiel and Lizzy … thank you all !!

Meister, oh how fabulous your love for the market ! What a perfect family tradition you have on the weekends. Finnish rye, the best. And tasting new apple varieties is certainly a must, good call. Thank you so much for sharing. Enjoy this weekend !

8. Stephanie says:

Purple potatoes but so different from our “vitelottes” and the red ones…
    Have fun!

First off…congrats on your nomination! Good luck! Voted! My favorite stalls at the market are the amazing flowers! There are branches, flowers, plants filing the market with extraordinary colors! It makes you feel like you are out of the city .
    Next is martins pretzels! Yummmmmm. Love your photos! It puts me right back in the market!

10. Yeye says:

Dear Kerrin, Congrats on your nomination! Your site and more importantly your writing and discoveries are so beautiful that you truly deserve to win.
    I’ve been a couple of times to the NY green market and what I remember best is the traditional apple juice. Thanks for such lovely story (as always)

11. Fintan says:

You sure are an expert when it comes to foods and markets. New York’s Green market and Chelsea markets are really beautiful and special. Love to see more of this type of markets in New York.