Banana Macadamia Chocolate Chunk Cookies

With snow falling outside and a couple of very ripe bananas in my fruit bowl, there was only one thing to do: bake.  It’s rare that I have the opportunity to bake anything with bananas, as much as I love to.  The problem is: while brown bananas are perfect for baking and throwing in the freezer for smoothies at the ready, I also love to eat them. Some people think “ew” (beurk) when they see real brown bananas.  I see sweet, as all the starch has turned to sugar.  So if I can resist not eating them, then that means it’s time to turn the oven on.

Ever since I was a child, I have always associated snow outside with baking chocolate chip cookies inside. Classic chocolate chip cookies, using the recipe on the back of the Tollhouse chocolate chip bag.  But those bananas were very tempting, as was the thought of smelling fresh baked banana bread.  So, what did I do? I compromised, with a banana cookie.  I used both white and whole wheat flour, mashed banana and chopped semisweet chocolate.  I am (usually) a purist when it comes to my cookies – no nuts.  But then I thought of the great combination of banana and macadamia nuts, and I couldn’t resist trying it out.  After a few batches and playing with the recipe, it worked.

Banana Macadamia Chocolate Chunk Cookies Banana Macadamia Chocolate Chunk CookiesBanana Macadamia Chocolate Chunk Cookies Banana Macadamia Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Now all the bananas are gone and the snow has stopped falling.  It’s time to go back to the market for a new batch of yellow bananas; I’m sure by the time they are good and brown, it will be snowing again.

Banana Macadamia Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Banana Macadamia Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 cup (120 grams) white flour
1 cup (120 grams) whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter
½ cup (110 grams) granulated sugar
½ cup (100 grams) packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 cup (200 grams) chopped chocolate, dark or semisweet
½ cup macadamia nuts (70 grams, about 35-40 nuts), chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).  Whisk together flours, salt and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside.

Cream together butter and sugars until pale and fluffy.  Mix in egg and vanilla.  Blend in mashed banana.  Gradually add flour mixture; mix until just combined.  Stir in chocolate and macadamia nuts, make sure they are well dispersed.

Using a small ice cream scoop if you have one (makes for same size cookies and even baking), drop dough onto baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies ? they will spread.  Bake for 12-14 minutes, depending if you like them soft and chewy or more firm and crispy around the edges.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Banana Macadamia Chocolate Chunk Cookies

9 Responses to “Banana Macadamia Chocolate Chunk Cookies”

1. Sam says:

Those look amazing! What a combination… bananas, dark chocolate and macadamia nuts! That Olivier is one lucky guy. Just delicious! Eat one for me over there.

I can smell the chocolate chip/banana/nut cookies coming thru the computer. What a wonderful scent of cookies in the oven!!! A great combination of ingredients.

3. Steve` says:

That’s the closet I’ve ever come to licking my computer screen. Your first picture above, with that warm chocolate, oozing out of the cookies. Does that ever look delicious. Awesome!

4. Jenn says:

Wow — these look absolutely delicious! Almost enough to inspire some baking in my own kitchen….almost. 🙂

5. michele says:

there’s a storm on the way in new england and i just so happen to have a few brown bananas that are ready to go! now i just have to get sami down for a nap and matt in the kitchen to help me:) thanks for the recipe – i’ll let you know how they turn out. i’ll miss my snowy day baking buddy this year!

6. Les Heltzer says:

Rice and banana macadamia chocolate chunk cookies. Not particularly good for a low carb diet, but wonderful for the soul!
    Continued good travels.

7. andrea says:

I wonder what or if there is a difference between Euro flour and US flour….when I baked cookies, cakes in Germany and then tried the same recipe here, it didn’t seem the same. Something odd about the texture….do you know what it is??

Andrea

Andrea, you questioned baking cookies and cakes in Germany. Turns out that flour in Germany is labeled according to its quantity of ash (mineral content), whereas flour in the states is labeled according to its quantity of protein. A bit different, which could lead to potential discrepancies in recipes, if you replace one flour for another that is not quite the same. Here’s a great resource that will help with flour equivalents for sure:

9. andrea says:

Wonderful to know! I have wondered about the flour for over 20 years!!! And to think that all I needed to ask was you…well, there you go. I’m a fan. Thanks!!