Blue and White: Zurich’s Flag, Trams… and Macarons!

What’s an anniversary without a little celebration, right?  Especially when it’s a first anniversary, one year living in a new city, one for which you have fallen head over heels! That calls for a little something sweet!  July 1st marked one year for us here in Zürich, and I found the most perfect confection to celebrate that with.

Vollenweider Chocolatier Confiseur, Switzerland

A blue and white macaron !  But not just any blue and white macaron, coincidentally flaunting the colors of Zürich’s regional flag.  (Not to mention blue being my favorite color.)  It’s actually the “Macaron de Zürich” !  Vollenweider Chocolatier Confiseur is the mastermind behind this vanilla and blueberry treat.  Vollenweider created the macaron in April of this year for the city’s much talked about event, Sechseläuten, when a gigantic paper snowman is burned down, marking the end of winter (a celebration based on a 14th century custom).  I unfortunately missed the event this year, but luckily the macaron is a permanent fixture.  It’s a bit smaller than typical Parisian macarons, more delicate and almost weightless in your hand.  It tastes just as light and airy – a vanilla mousse-like cream filling with a little surprise in the middle.  A little burst of blueberry pâte de fruit (fruit jelly) that is fantastic, and an example of why Vollenweider’s confections are a notch above the rest.

Vollenweider Chocolatier Confiseur, SwitzerlandVollenweider Chocolatier Confiseur, SwitzerlandVollenweider Chocolatier Confiseur, SwitzerlandVollenweider Chocolatier Confiseur, Switzerland

It’s also a perfect addition to their already colorful and varied repertoire of macarons. I love their fold-out catalog of the different flavors (above left), including a few classics like chocolate, pistachio, raspberry and caramel/fleur de sel, but with more focus on seasonal flavors and more unusual ingredients as well.  There’s licorice, Bailey’s, and even wasabi.  The vanilla is no ordinary vanilla, as it uses beans of 2 origins – Madagascar and Tahiti, double the flavor!  A few reminiscent of Pierre Hermé‘s lineup too – fig/foie gras, olive oil from France’s Château d’Estoublon and mandarin/pink pepper.  And then there’s the “Macaron de Winterthur,” we musn’t forget.  Vanilla and strawberry, I’m guessing with a surprise pâte de fruit in the middle. Vollenweider’s original shop is from this neighboring Swiss city, so they are more than deserving of a namesake macaron too!

Up next here on the blog… more on Vollenweider’s shops in Zürich and Winterthur, and the blog’s eponymous pastry, done Vollenweider style!

17 Responses to “Blue and White: Zurich’s Flag, Trams… and Macarons!”

1. katy says:

oooooo! I just had my first visit to Laduree and had so much fun sampling lots of different flavors. Tastiest? Caramel with Sea Salt Prettiest? Cassis Most surprising? Mint. Now I can wait for my 2nd trip to Laduree.

A friend, who is Swiss, told me about this place – Spruengli in Zurich. She claims it is the best in Switzerland. Thoughts? The macs in your picture look TDF!! Would it be crazy for me to plan my trips around macarons?

Oooh, your first visit to Ladurée! That’s a major moment, I am so glad (and not surprised) that you enjoyed! I’m with you – tastiest for me is always the salted butter caramel. Of course I know Sprüngli (of Lindt & Sprüngli) – and I will certainly have to report on their version of macarons here one day, called Luxemburgerli. (Ironically for you in Luxembourg!) I prefer Ladurée though, to be completely honest.

Oh, and not crazy to plan your trips around macarons – I do it all the time! 🙂

Hi! I’m not usually a macaron fan (a little goes a long way) but that blue/white one looks great! hmm…
    … oh wait, wasabi??!!

Kerrin, you are a tease! I love this macaron. And not only because it is a) a macaron, and b) two-toned, and c) blue, but d) because it looks so adorably light and delicate I want to eat it now! How fantastic that your city has a macaron in its honour. Great idea. I was actually just thinking about the (limited) places in Brisbane to get macarons. May have to investigate that one.

jkiel, I know – wasabi !?! That was my reaction too. They didn’t have that one in the shop when I was there, and I have to admit — even if they did, I don’t know that I would get it. I have more of a sweet tooth than an exotic one when it comes to my macarons (and chocolate too) !

Julia, oh no, a tease?! I am doing this for you to enjoy, not suffer ! 😉 I have to say, the macaron is just as light and delicate as it looks – if not more. Good luck on your Brisbane macaron hunt! But then again, you have more gorgeous macarons coming out of your oven every other day, than most pastry shops, no?! Why the search ?

Oh my my my my…I’m having a heart attack (for good reasons!). Those macarons look delightfully delicious! I am imagining popping one in my mouth right now. Yum, light, fluffy, delicate…I want to try Vanilla (with 2 kinds!) and Wasabi (who would have thought?). Great post, Kerrin! We do have lots in common. P.S. I got your email and will respond to you soon 🙂

7. Alexander says:

These are interesting cute and colourful. Can I have some? 😛

Jen, no heart attacks please !! Thanks for the great comment, as usual ! When I taste the vanilla macaron, I can let you know how it was. But as for wasabi…. you’re on your own ! 😉

Alexander, of course you can have some ! You just have to plan your trip to Zürich then !! haha!

I have to say that those macaron look tempting but I don’t like the color blue! Laduree is my favorite place for macarons but when I do get to Zurich I will certainly try this place. It certainly looks delicious. My favorite flavor is….that is a hard one to decide on…..

10. Solo Road Trip says:

looks kind of like a miniature ice cream sandwich. Yum! And while I don’t normally go for blue food, these look very appealing and knowing they are blueberry flavored just makes them more so. I’d try in a heartbeat, and the wasabi too!

11. wecouldgrowup2gether says:

macaroons just make my day!

12. Scribetrotter says:

It’s lunchtime and I’m feeling a bit weak from hunger… I live in the countryside so a quick trip to the macaron shop isn’t in my immediate future, despite a speeding up heartbeat. So, lets see, what I have I got… chocolat au gros sel. Salty chocolate. That’ll have to do…

I’m off to Guildford in the UK for the weekend and the British have some pretty cool sweets… unusual caramels… hmmm… I wonder what I can bring back with me…

Lani, I am with you – Laduree all the way !!

Solo Road Trip, oooh you have given me such a great idea – mini ice cream sandwiches! Thanks. You are more adventurous than I am though – when you taste the wasabi macaron, you’ll have to let me know what you think !

Wecouldgrowup2gether, macarons just make my day too !! Glad to see you enjoyed the post!

Scribetrotter, too funny – as I read your comment above about your chocolat au gros sel, I have a square of Lindt’s fleur de sel chocolate in my mouth — true !! It’s still my very favorite. Mmmm, sounds like a perfect lunch to me, ha ha! Have a fantastic trip to the UK and please report back on your sweet finds, you know I’m intrigued….. !

14. Aprille says:

I think the maker of that macaroon was actually a Tarheel fan. They would fit in just fine around Chapel Hill, NC. Go UNC hehe

Aprille… I have but one question for you… do you know who you’re talking to here ?! I have two words for you: BLUE DEVIL ! 🙂 I will never look at those macarons the same again ! LOL ! Go Duke !!

16. Aprille says:

Hum… your blog is fattening AND your a duke fan. I don’t know, might have to remove you from the reader… buuuuuut since you posted those lovely Carolina Blue sweets I will hold off for a bit. Really though, so sad…. how the heck did that happen to you anyways? Ahhh I just read the “whos the me?” part again. I had blocked out the Duke part but I remember now. Well, it is a good school but UNC rules.

LOL !! A fattening blog by a Duke alum – oh gosh, you must really hate me! 😉 You are too funny – when you had read my bio, your brain just totally ignored the Duke part! Ah the Duke/UNC rival lives on…. Go Blue Devils !