Pineapple, Meringue & Summer

90 degree days (30 for you metrics), the sun out until 9pm, hordes of people by the lake here in Zürich – there aren’t many signs that the end of summer is near.  And thank goodness.  I’ll keep returning to the market, filling up my basket with berries and the seasonal fruits we wait for all year long.  Back in the kitchen, I haven’t quite sworn off chocolate desserts, but there’s more often a fruit tart or crumble coming out of the oven, and a new jar of jam cooling off on the window sill.  There is one very simple dessert that I have made several times this summer, showcasing a different fruit each time.  It’s basically a fruit compote topped by soft baked meringue.  A dessert that is easy and requires few ingredients, yet looks rather impressive.  Not to mention, tastes delicious!

Pineapple Compote + Meringue

I made compotes using plums, red berries and rhubarb – each worked great with the meringue on top.  This time though, I couldn’t resist the Extra Süss Ananas at the market – extra sweet pineapple.  So a pineapple compote it was.  I cooked the fruit down with a whole vanilla bean and let it steep.  The flavor was intense, and the pillow of meringue, not overly sweet, toned it down perfectly.

Pineapple Compote + Meringue Pineapple Compote + Meringue

This is a great dessert to make with any fruit that’s lying around on your counter. Throw some plums in the oven or cook down a mix of berries on the stove.  It’s perfect for occasions when you want a nice dessert for one, but don’t exactly want to bake a whole cake for yourself.  Spoon some compote into a baking dish (store bought is just fine too) and as long as you have 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of sugar, you’ve got a gourmet dessert at the ready!

Pineapple Compote + Meringue Pineapple Compote + Meringue

Pineapple Compote Topped with Baked Meringue
For 4 individual desserts

Compote:
1 whole pineapple, ripe, about 2 pounds (1 kilo)
2/3 cups (150 grams) sugar
1 vanilla bean

Meringue:
3 egg whites, at room temperature
3 Tablespoons sugar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Chop the pineapple into small pieces. Put in a large pot and add the sugar. Start to cook at medium heat. Slice the vanilla bean vertically and remove the seeds with the tip of a knife. Add the seeds and the bean the pot. Cook down the fruit (uncovered) until it starts to take on the consistency of a jam/compote, about a half an hour. Remove the vanilla bean.

Whisk the egg whites until they are foamy. Add the sugar and continue to whisk until the meringue holds semi-stiff peaks. Evenly distribute the pineapple compote among individual baking dishes*. Spoon meringue on top. Bake for 5-7 minutes.

* Clear glass ramekins make for the best presentation. Otherwise, your diners will be in for a surprise as to what is underneath the meringue!

15 Responses to “Pineapple, Meringue & Summer”

I love this idea. So simple, but impressive as you say – and quick to prepare particularly on a hot summer day. Funny, it is winter here and today it was also 90F/30C. I’m not looking forward to summer! Anyway, was the flavour of vanilla overpowering? That is sure a lot of vanilla bean! Did you save the pod for sugar? Sooooooo good! And extra sweet pineapple? The pineapples that are grown locally here are so super-sweet, I couldn’t imagine them any more so. But sounds delicious…..wish I could try. Put this on the list. You know. For when I visit! 🙂

90 degrees – during winter ?! Wow, I can’t even imagine what the summer is like by you! The vanilla was strong, but not overpowering. Depending on how much you like the taste/aroma of fresh vanilla, you can take out the bean earlier if you would like, or even just use half of the seeds. “Wish you could try” ? Why not ?!

And but of course I saved the pod! It’s buried deep in a canister of sugar – that’s going to be vanilla-pineapple-sugar, mmm!

What a great dessert! How impressive and so quick. Particularily sweet for your sweet tooth. I think that I would love this little dessert…..love to use other fruits…nectarines or apples…what do you think? Can you put ice cream on top too? Of course, love your photography….so crisp that you can actually taste the pineapple with the meringue…..

4. VeggieGirl says:

Crazy hot weather but gorgeous dessert!! You continue to inspire me, always.

Hope you are doing well!! 🙂

5. Solo Road Trip says:

my son is a pineapple fiend. I will make this for him when he comes home for the holidays. Love the flecks of vanilla that are visible in the final bowl of compote topped with the lovely baked meringue. And it appears the meringue is floating on thick cream. Beautiful.

6. Baron's Life says:

My Grandma used to make us a lot of Compot..using pears, peaches and apples…I loved it and can still taste it, especially the juices
    Thanks for the memories

7. Trisha says:

Hi Kerrin, I came to see your new articles, it’s nice to see that you travel around my country and as I see you like it.
    Like always nice pictures, bonne journée, bisous

Lani, yes you could definitely use other fruit, and nectarines are an excellent idea. I might have to try that, thanks! As for ice cream on top… why not?! 🙂

VeggieGirl, thanks for the fabulous comment. I’m doing great, despite the crazy hot weather, and thanks to desserts like these!

Solo Road Trip, oh excellent idea to make this for your pineapple-loving son. You’ll have to tell me what he thinks when you make it. And what you think too!

Baron’s Life, how wonderful to have such delicious memories. So glad I could bring back a few for you…

Trisha, merci merci – and yes, I love your country !! 🙂

9. Jack says:

…great way to use up those extra egg whites that keep accumulating in my refrigerator…must give this a try!

10. Andrea says:

Seems like the perfect recipe for a Sunday afternoon, ie. tomorrow!

Kerrin, I love that picture of the fruit compote topped by the baked meringue. Another “award winning” shot. And your sugar scoop is so cool with all those colors. Where’d ya get it?

12. Baron's Life says:

OK I AM not trying to be funny here, but have you ever thought of opening a restaurant?

Jack, ironically – I always have extra yolks in my fridge ! We should get together, we’d have a whole cake ! haha!

Steve, I LOVE my little sugar scoop, thanks for noticing. I actually got it in NYC !

Baron’s Life – opening a restaurant ? Nope, never thought of that in fact. Now, opening up a bakery sounds more like it… ! 🙂 Nah, just kidding around. I just like baking at home for fun. But wow, the suggestion is quite flattering, thank you !!

14. Baron's Life says:

Sorry haven’t been for a while. A slight road accident put me out of commission for a bit. All’s well though. Well lemme know if you ever do open a bakery or work in one…

Baron’s Life, missed you here on the blog for sure. I’m so sorry to hear about your accident. I sure hope you’re ok now. And don’t worry, I’ll let you know for sure about that bakery. I give you my word.