M is for Macaron

Macarons

You may have noticed the buzz about a certain sweet theme lately – on Twitter, Facebook and really all over the internet.  March 20th is an important day after all.  Only once a year do some of the most sought after pastry shops actually hand out free macarons! Aha, an important day for those of us with a (24/7) sweet tooth, that is!   The mastermind behind this Jour du Macaron, none other than Pierre Hermé, will be handing out not one, but three free macarons on Saturday, March 20th in Paris.  If you thought the line was already long at his boutique throughout the year, well just imagine…!  Even more fun, if you can make a stop in all of his six boutiques across the city, getting a card validated at each one (La Carte du Macaron), you’ll be rewarded with a box of 35 macarons at the end. Wow is all I can say to that!

New York City is joining in the festivities this year too, with François Payard at the helm and participating shops including MacarOn Café.  The slogan for Macaron Day NYC… “macaron – the new cupcake” !  I’m just relieved they aren’t calling them macaroons !

MacaronsMacarons

So if you are reading this before the big day, here’s a sweet reminder… if you can make it to a participating pastry shop in France and have time to wait in line, go for it!  Perhaps you’ll be making your own macarons and sharing them on MacTweets, and that you can do all year round.  Or you’ll be reading about them on your favorite food blogs or simply enjoying a macaron or two from your favorite shop wherever that may be around the world. On March 20th last year, for me that meant a box of macarons at Confiserie Baumann in Zürich.  And on other days too, it’s Ladurée, Péclard, Vollenweider

MacaronsLadurée, Zürich, SwitzerlandSalon du Chocolat 2009, Paris, FranceEric Baumann, Zürich, Switzerland

Meanwhile, I suppose the long lines at those pastry shops are a good thing – gives you time to decide what flavor macaron you want, for your one free choice!  What would it be for you?

How are you celebrating Macaron Day?  Or on any day of the year, what’s your favorite place to buy macarons and your favorite flavor there?  Me, you ask…?  The salted butter caramel macaron at Ladurée.  But I may have mentioned that before.

Salon du Chocolat 2009, Paris, FrancePain de Sucre, Paris, FranceMacaronsMacarons

Happy Macaron Day… and may every day after that be a sweet one too!

Jour du Macaron in France: http://www.jourdumacaron.com/
Macaron Day in New York City: http://macarondaynyc.com/

31 Responses to “M is for Macaron”

1. Alessio says:

Macarons… Perfect treat while walking through the Quartier Latin… I loved Herme’s macarons, sweet and fulfilling 😀 a little one is worth a whole hour of indulgence lol Oh how I’d love to be back in the Ville Lumieres and enjoy some of this pastel colored buttons! (and while I’m there I’m sure I will enjoy also some of his gorgeous pralines ;))

2. Martha Rice says:

Which shop is Payard’s? I read someplace that his place had closed.

3. VeggieGirl says:

I LOVE MACARONS!!! Haven’t been able to find a gluten-free/soy-free one though 🙁

Why am I not in Paris or NYC? I should start a Macaron Day in Toronto as well! I will try anything new, but my all-time fave is Salted Caramel. A classic!!

Sweet days to you too Kerrin. What a cool concept. We’ll be out and about Manhattan Saturday hunting for macarons… for sure. I’ll report back on Monday. Back to your post – the photography is spectacular. The colors are sooooooo vibrant. is that opening shot on your window sill? Absolutely love it.

I just love macarons…I do remember the very first time I tasted one. I remember the exact moment. Laduree on the Champs. It was the most incredible taste. I can see it and taste it. Your photography is mouthwatering! The macarons just pop out of the screen hitting my taste buds and leaving crumbs on my desk. Thank you for giving us all the most incredible post to date!

7. Jack says:

Really must give this a try…we have so much egg white right now – hmm…perhaps some lessons are in order (and a taster)…

8. the lacquer spoon says:

Macaron Day – What a lovely treat!! Hope Tokyo will be able to join the event 🙂

9. Meeta says:

ah the macaron – i live too far away from these fancy cities to be getting me them macarons – but i make my own LOL! and i am sure you’ll love my spiced chai and salted caramel macarons – maybe even forget laduree for a second! hahaha! happy macaron day kerrin!

Are you kidding me? That’s your view from your apartment? Okay, I’m now officially jealous. Not only of your view, but you have a Laduree there in Zurich.

But those jealously levels are nothing compared to those lucky Parisians feasting on literally hundreds of free macarons tomorrow. All from my favourite pastry houses. How dare they taunt me like that?

Perhaps I’ll just have to whip up a batch myself? How terrible would that be?

Oh, and flavours? Hmmmmmmm, so hard. Maybe chocolate. Or caramel. Or both? 🙂

To VeggieGirl – macarons are gluten free, when make with pure confectioners’ sugar / icing sugar (the only type I use). Ingredients then are only almond meal, sugar and egg whites. You can then go a fruit filling (e.g. raspberry) to avoid dairy in any ganache. I hope you can find one, or try yourself?

Alessio, I’d love to be strolling around Paris myself right now, in the Latin Quarter or any other neighborhood really ! But you can’t have just “one little Pierre Hermé macaron,” now can you ?? 😉

Martha, Payard’s restaurant on Lexington Avenue did in fact close last year, but he later opened the FC Chocolate Bar above Mauboussin (jewelry store) on Madison Avenue (in November I think it was). Here’s the full list of participants, including that shop: http://macarondaynyc.com/participants.html

VeggieGirl, Julia above has answered your question, you’ll be *very* happy to know ! Macarons are in fact… gluten-free !

jen, Macaron Day 2011 in Toronto and Zürich perhaps ?! 😉 And salted caramel all the way !

Steve, enjoy your macaron tour around Manhattan, can’t wait to hear about your sweet finds for sure.

Lani, sorry if I got crumbs on your keyboard, ha ha ! Your very first macaron – what a sweet memory, and on the Champs Elysées in Paris, not a bad spot ! So glad you love this post, thanks so much !

Jack, you’ll have this recipe mastered in no time ! And you know I am your #1 taster, on call 24/7. When you need me, just holler ! 😉

the lacquer spoon, Pierre Hermé has a shop in Tokyo – you should tell them to participate next year !

Meeta, my wish for Macaron Day would be to taste YOUR macarons ! I’ll meet you at the CH/DE border… ! 🙂

Julia, I know, right, all those lucky Parisians and their free macarons ! But oh la la, the lines, I can not even imagine. I’d like to get in line in *your* kitchen, for some of the macs coming out of *your* oven ! Chocolate and caramel, that works for me 😉

Oh, Steve and Julia, the top photo is not the view from my apartment window. If it were, I think every single photo on this blog would have that as background ! You don’t recognize the architecture of the buildings… ? That has Paris written all over it !

12. Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels says:

Such a brilliant idea! And what a perfect time it would be to go to Paris for the weekend 😉

I think I’ll make it a point tomorrow to visit the local Confiserie places that make macarons – what could be better than a nice spring day on the lake eating delicious treats?

Oh dear oh yum, if only I could justify a seven hour drive to NYC just to snag free macs! Well, I can justify it, easily. But it probably won’t happen. Oh yum yum yum pistache et rose et citron. And Parisian architecture, yum to that too.

I’ve never made macarons before, maybe tomorrow will be my day to set sail on the mac-maker!

14. Deb says:

I am embarrassed to admit this but I haven’t had a macaroon. I want to try one but never had one. After reading this lovely post, I am experiencing a major craving of something I haven’t tasted. Is that possible?

15. Nomadic Chick says:

I must confess wishful thinking had me reading “macaroons”, only because I adore coconut! But my, these look delectable. If I ever get an opportunity to try one, I can thank you for the influence. 🙂

16. Edd says:

Looks like I booked my trip a month too late! Oh well thankfully I have a batch of Macarons made to Pierre Herme’s recipe waiting for me so I think ill go and celebrate

17. Jamie says:

Yum! And thanks for the heads up about Guerlais in Nantes. May stroll down there today. Thanks for mentioning Mactweets where all MacPassionates are welcome to bake along with us all year round!

Happy Macaron Day, Kerrin!

18. Mowie @ Mowielicious says:

Another great post hon! I’m going to be celebrating by spending the day at Pierre Hermé – going there with 10 different masks so they can keep giving me free macs =)

19. Sarah says:

What a beautiful post! Love those colors and arrangements! I wonder when Switzerland will catch on to Macaron Day…

20. Ria says:

Great post, Kerrin! I’m on my way to NY, let me see if I am lucky enough to get a freebie! 🙂 If not, I am definately buying some! 🙂

Elisa, so what Swiss confections are you treating yourself to today ? Too bad there’s no sun to keep you company on the lake here. Maybe tomorrow…

Emma, go to it ! “Set sail on the mac-maker” – I love it ! Let me know how it goes… and what kind of macarons to make for your first go at it, hmmm ?! Good luck !

Deb, of course that’s possible. But what you’re craving are actually macarons, not (coconut) macaroons ! 😉

Nomadic Chick, I love macaroons too, can’t compare the two, that’s all. Sure hope you’ll get your hands on BOTH soon ! 🙂

Edd, never too late (or too early) to go to Paris ! What kind of macarons did you make ? Bet they’re delicious… Have one for me, please.

Jamie, happy macaron day to you and all your fellow MacPassionates too, ha ha ! Hope you treated yourself to a lot more than macarons at Guerlais’ shop today ! Whadya get ?!

Mowie, thanks ! Take an 11th mask and get one for me ! 😉

Sarah, thanks so much. Switzerland actually does participate in Macaron Day, one lonely pastry shop in the whole country is on the list here, Jean-Marie Augnet near Vevey/Montreux: http://www.jourdumacaron.com/Suisse.html Maybe Zürich in 2011… ?!

Ria, thanks ! Oooh how lucky, just to be going to NY at all ! Enjoy ! 🙂

22. Edd says:

Kerrin – I made Mint Chocolate, a mint/white chocolate centre surrounded by a bittersweet ganache

23. Christina@Health-Foodie says:

Wow! I just found your blog and I am so excited! I am Swiss and I am from Zurich. It is so fun to see what you are up to over there. I currently live in Iowa City. Since all my family is still in Zurich I visit at least once a year.

Today is actually the first day that I noticed all the macaroons everywhere… I first saw them on foodbuzz, since Mowie from Mowielicious is in the top9. I thought: “Hey, they look just like Luxemburgerli from Spruengli!” haha

Love your blog! 🙂

– Christina

Edd, thanks so much for sharing the link – your macarons look phenomenal, love that double filling, so beautiful. And such a classic combination. Yum !

Christina, thank you so much ! I’m thrilled you stumbled upon my blog. You’ll see that I tend to gush about how much I love your city from time to time 😉 And wow, a Zürcher in Iowa ?! haha ! I have to say though, I do prefer Parisian macarons to Sprüngli’s Luxemburgerli. Very different in texture and size – can’t really compare the two in fact. Just enjoy them both ! 🙂

25. Rosa says:

I had a passionfruit macaron in a cute little bakery in upstate New York. It was revelatory – standard, slightly sweeter-than-usual macaron until POW bright fruity flavor!

26. Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

Wonderful looking macarons… I love the idea of a mac crawl around all the Pierre Hermes!

27. Sarah says:

How did I miss this? Here’s hoping there will be a Jour du Macaron in 2011! Might be a good reason to get myself back to Paris. 🙂

28. Y says:

M is also for Mmmmm! What mouth watering photos 🙂

29. katy says:

Kerrin – we went to Brussels yesterday and I found that mac shop again, this time I burned it’s name in my memory – Jean Philippe Darcis.

Mac mystery solved 🙂

Rosa, I’m still thinking about that passion fruit macaron you had a few weeks ago. Wish I had one right now ! 🙂

Sarah (MC), a “mac crawl” – that’s so what it is, love the term !!

Sarah, oh yes absolutely, Jour du Macaron 2011 will be on, and 2012 and 2013…. ! Sounds like a good reason to me to get to Paris ! Any sweet excuse would work for me really 😉

Y, M for Mmmm and Mouth-watering too ! 😉 Thanks !!

katy, ooh thanks for letting me know about that shop. Case closed, as for the mac mystery. But new case open for me – how and when to get there, ha ha ! (Looks like his site is down, will have to check back soon. Thanks again for sharing.)

31. Danee Gilmartin says:

I just went around NYC for macaron day and I found some good ones but nothing like Paris. The closest I’ve found here are from La Maison du Macaron, but I’m still dreaming of Pierre Herme!