Postcard from Burano, Italy

Burano, ItalyBurano, Italy

I love finding goodies in my mailbox, whether it be a new magazine I am subscribed to, a book I ordered online, or better yet, surprises by way of a care package from my parents in New York City or a postcard with a simple “thinking of you” from a friend or family member around the world. Guy Trebay wrote a wonderful piece on the future of the postcard in this social media heavy world (Travel + Leisure, February 2010), and I too grow saddened at a world without traditional paper postcards, mailed with a licked stamp, arriving days or weeks after you’ve already returned home from that trip.  I send hand-written letters, use a filo-fax, make lists with a pencil and eraser, have vintage postcards and paper photos on my wall and love checking out the fun, new stamps at the post office. And of course, I send postcards on my travels.

Burano, Italy

I just received a postcard from a friend visiting Venice, with an image almost identical to my photo above. When I was there last year, you would think I was on a mission to carry back as much weight in torrone as possible, but that wasn’t quite my motive (the gelato got in the way).  That said, I do regret that now.  I was on my way to Croatia, and had a bonus day in Venice.  I roamed the streets, checked out a few cioccolateria, pasticceria, panificio and gelateria (but of course), stood at the bar at Trattoria Ca d’Oro (“Alla Vedova”) and enjoyed a few rounds of cicheti (tapas). Then I made my way across the lagoon to Burano.  I told my friend that this was a must visit.  And now I’m telling you.

Burano, ItalyBurano, ItalyBurano, ItalyBurano, Italy

Many people visiting Venice may take a boat ride to visit Murano for its world famous glass, or perhaps to Burano for its lace. My recommendation would be to visit Burano for the sheer variety of colors alone.  If I hadn’t been last year, I would never have believed Burano is truly as colorful as the postcard. It is.

Burano, ItalyBurano, ItalyBurano, ItalyBurano, Italy

It’s a small island, so it’s best to simply wander around the narrow streets, winding back and forth and around. You’ll pass through arched passageways, come to many a dead-end, and find yourself ending up along the canal, admiring the colorful reflections of the boats and houses on the water.  You’ll pass lots of little shops selling lace in all shapes and sizes, Venetian carnival masks and various other tchotchkes.  Just don’t forget to pick up a postcard and send a “hello from Burano” the traditional way.

Burano, ItalyBurano, ItalyBurano, ItalyBurano, Italy

Where to find the freshest fish & seafood in Burano:

Trattoria al Gatto Nero
Via Giudecca
www.gattonero.com

Trattoria da Romano
Via Galuppi
www.daromano.it

Burano, Italy

Burano, Italy

43 Responses to “Postcard from Burano, Italy”

What a beautiful spot. Your photographs really capture the colour of the place, that’s for sure. I also love the handwritten note, be it a letter or postcard. I hope we don’t lose that tradition over time. There’s nothing quite like having something arrive for you, particularly when you’ve been waiting for so long!

2. Dominique (De vous à moi...) says:

Quelles merveilleuses couleurs… Burano est sur ma liste des sites à visiter absolument (elle est longue!)… tes photos font très envie. Une prochaine fois peut-être!

3. Jeanne @ CookSister! says:

Agree 100% – Burano was one of my favourite days spent in Italy. It’s a sumptuous feast for the eyes! And we went to El Gato Nero for lunch – absolute heaven… Must post about it sometime, like this decade :o)

4. Sam Sidney says:

Beautiful pictures! Some of them really remind me of Charleston. I think your readers would love to see some posts about Charleston… it is a foodie town you know! xoxox

5. Rosa says:

What a gorgeous place! Those houses are lovely and so are your shots!

Cheers,

Rosa

6. Amy says:

Beautiful photos! This looks like a great place to visit. Love all the colors! I also love getting postcards. I always send myself one from each country I visit to have a tangible memory of the trip once I’m home.

7. Meeta says:

simply gorgeous and exceptionally colorful. love italy and it’s flair! you’ve captured it so well dear kerrin!

Julia, we definitely agree – what better than receiving a hand-written letter or package in the mail, it’s just so special. Whatever happens in the modern world, I’ll always keep the tradition alive…

Dominique, merci beaucoup ! Ma liste de voyages à faire devient de plus en plus longue tous les jours ! Surtout quand je lis ton blog aussi ! 😉

Jeanne, oh I love knowing that we had lunch at the same spot ! 🙂 And I can’t wait to see your report on Burano, sometime in 2010… ! ha ha !

Sam, get me on a concord direct flight from Zurich to Charleston, and I’m there ! 😉 Really, Charleston is *that* colorful ?! And a foodie town ? I have a lot to learn…

Rosa, thank you so much !

Amy, thank you ! And what a fantastic idea – to send yourself postcards as you travel. How do you keep them now – in a box or an album ? Great scrapbooking material.

Meeta, thank you – I hope these colors brighten up our otherwise cool, gray and rainy Zurich and Weimar ! 😉

9. Anh says:

So beautiful!! The color is just so vibrant and cheerful. Thanks for sharing with us 🙂

oh.my.god. the colours are beautiful. makes me want to go now!

like you, i also love the feel of old school paper! i actually have a collection of postcards from my travels, pre-digital age (when i did most of my travelling as a child / teen).

by the way. did you use your g11 to take these photos? great, vivid clarity! i think i need to get me one of those as back up for my clunky dslr.

12. Jamie says:

Beautiful! Must show this to JP, for what a gorgeous, romantic weekend a trip here would be. The wonders of Italy never cease to amaze me.

“The colours of the houses follow a specific system originating from the golden age of its development; if someone wishes to paint their home, one must send a request to the government, who will respond by making notice of the certain colours permitted for that lot,” as Wikipedia tells me. Did you happen to learn about this specific system? It probably sounds more badass than it really is, but I sure wouldn’t want to cross the color police.

14. Amy says:

I haven’t found a good way to keep my postcards yet, but the recent ones usually get displayed on the fridge for a bit. I just came across a thing called postcrossing yesterday, so postcards have been on my mind. 🙂 http://www.postcrossing.com/ Seems interesting!

15. Sara says:

Thank you for the Beautiful Post on Burano! I loved the colorful pictures, It brings back fond memories of an entire day I spend in Burano back in 2005!!!

16. DealHunter says:

Thanks for sharing, the pictures are beatiful. I still send postcards to my family and friends when I travel. Unfortunately, I am the only one and I usually get only a text message. This summer I want to visit Italy and after reading your article I add Burano among the places I want to visit.

Anh, my pleasure !

Jen, I hear you – the photos make me want to go back too ! 🙂 That’s so fabulous that you still have those postcards from your childhood. Just imagine rereading them in 20 years…. ! Yup, I took all these shots with my Canon G10. And didn’t edit or retouch or do anything at all to the color. Just posted them directly from my camera. I don’t even own Photoshop. You see it as I did !!

Jamie, oh yes, nothing wrong with a trip to Italy – anywhere in Italy really – for you and JP. I have never been to Italy with Olivier. Must make that happen one day… That said, Burano may not be the best place for Olivier as he’s colorblind !!

Emma, wooh, watch out for the Burano color police !! That’s so crazy and interesting at the same time. I love it ! Here’s the link for others to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burano
    The only thing I remember reading about was that the colors were for the fishermen to recognize their houses from far out at sea. Or something like that.

Amy, oh definitely the fridge. I love rotating photos and postcards on the fridge or a bulletin board from time to time. I’ll have to check out that postcrossing site too, never heard of it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Sara, how wonderful that you got to enjoy Burano too. How about a 5 year reunion ?! 😉

DealHunter, thank you so much. Glad to hear you send postcards too. I bet your friends and family always adore receiving them. Enjoy planning your trip to Italy this summer – and yes, make sure Burano is on that itinerary ! 🙂

18. KugelDad says:

I’d like to offer first-hand confirmation of 2 things – Kerrin really does send lots of postcards when she travels (and btw, i challenge anyone to get as much hand written information into that small space. Her secret is writing really tiny). The 2nd thing is simply that your traveling readers shouldn’t underestimate the value and importance of even the simplest of post cards. Believe me, it counts for alot to family and friends (especially parents always wondering how you’re doing). Great post honey. All those colors sort of reminds me of Colmar. Sort of.

You have given me the most wonderful trip this morning! I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the walk thru the streets and pathways in Burano. The colors just pop right out of the computer and make me feel….is this place for real? It does look like a picture postcard! How lucky you were to spend some time in this colorful town! I am so jealous. The next trip I make to Venice I WILL go to Burano!!! Thank you thank you for sharing your written words about the places that you travel too. You are such an inspiration to all.

20. kelleyn says:

We have always wanted to go to these little islands, but something always gets in the way. Next time I hope. I enjoy getting postcards too, but am not very good at sending them.

Burano – so many photographs that one finds! And watching the (usually older) women handmake the lace, that was fascinating…it looks like you were there on a grey day, which can make the colours stand out even more! Nice!

22. Yeye says:

What a beautiful and colorful walk you are giving us today! It illuminated my day. Merci Keke!

KugelDad… thanks dad ! I see what you mean about the colors reminding you of Colmar. But the similarities end there. Next time you visit… how about we do Italy ?! 😉

Lani, yes it is definitely for real ! I thought the same thing when I first arrived on the island. I was so excited by all the colors and little winding streets, I was taking photos every step I took ! Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it.

kelleyn, I hope you’ll be able to go too next time. And when you do – you’ll have to send me a postcard ! 😉

jkiel, good point, that the gray sky made the colors jump out even more. But oh gosh, can you just imagine it on a really bright sunny day ?!

Yeye, so glad I was able to brighten your day ! De rien Yeye !!

24. Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

When I first saw these pictures I thought it reminded me of Port Grimaud near St Tropez, a modern (and very expensive) little town with colourful houses built on waterways purporting to be the Venice of the Cote D’Azur. I’d always assumed this to be an outlandish comparison but reading your post I realise there’s a bit more truth in it than I realised.

I’ve never been to Venice. My husband went 3 times before we met so it’s never been on the priority list!

25. Nomadic Chick says:

What a vibrant place. And I adore fresh seafood. Funny you mention postcards. I’m grieving for the end of my letter writing career. As soon as my travels start, sending letters to friends will prove difficult. 🙁

Kerrin, i just wanted to say how cute it is that your dad is KugelDad! By the way, I (snail) mailed the atlas already (early this month). only, i did the cheapest way…by boat…so, you should receive it anytime soon!

27. Andrea says:

Love Burano! Love your Dad’s comments even more. It’s always wonderful to witness supportive, loving parents. 🙂

Sarah, I love any and all multicolor towns that we discover along our travels – in Italy and Portugal,… Greece, Denmark, Switzerland too… I don’t know Port Grimaud, but it sounds like another I’d love to visit. Your husband may have been to Venice 3 times – but he’s never been with you !! 😉

Nomadic Chick, why would your letter writing career end ? As you start traveling, you’ll have so much more to tell – your letters will simply grow longer and longer… !

Jen, yeah gotta love KugelDad, ha ha ! I was just thinking about the atlas yesterday in fact, as Olivier and I are mapping out our next trip. Google maps is great, but well.. not quite the same thing. 😉 No rush, still totally excited though !!

Andrea, supportive and loving parents is a huge understatement for KugelDad and KugelMom ! 🙂 Thanks so much.

29. Nomadic Chick says:

You make a sound point. There’s one particular friend who I’ve written letters to for years, we are devising a way to keep in touch, snail mail included. 🙂

30. Sarah says:

pretty as a postcard, I never saw that side of Italy

31. Chef Dennis says:

what beautiful images!!! It stirs such wonderful memories….I have been away from Italy for far too long…sigh….
    I am so glad to have found your blog!
    Cheers
    Dennis

32. catty says:

Love the little story and the photos are great! I like traditional postcards too.. I LOVE receiving them and would like to send more but sometimes I admit I get lazy 🙂

33. Tami says:

I just love this post! Burano looks absolutely stunning and now I’m really regretting not baking a trip there when I was in Venice in September. I think a return trip will be in the works, mostly for this. Looks like it belongs in another part of Italy with those colours, like Liguria. Lovely!

Chef Dennis, thank you so much ! I’m so glad you found MyKugelhopf too, hope you’ll continue to enjoy. And I hope you’ll be able to get back to Italy soon as well…

catty, thanks ! Don’t worry – we all get postcard-lazy from time to time. Just think that the people you send them to will love receiving them as much as you do ! 😉

Tami, grazie !! A return trip to Venice definitely sounds necessary, with Burano on the itinerary ! I don’t know Liguria, but now I am certainly curious to check it out too, thanks !

35. valentina says:

I have never been to Burano. When I travel I do love just to wander around, have a feel of the place. I always wish that my weekend trips could be 5-day long ones. It is great to find cheap tickets for weekend trips, but at the same time these terribly short trips can somewhat ‘cramp’ the way you register the world. I love all these lovely colours on the houses, the old man sitting on the main step to his home..without the glorious Italian feel, it reminds me of my nana’s hometown where I spent so many holidays – somewhere in northeast Brazil. You are probably thinking: what are you on??!!! it is just that these lovely , lovely shots remind me of an also far away place which holds its own character..and I travelled in my mind.. started imagining other things about Burano. I have to pencil it in, and wonder around , take in the local atmosphere. Thank you for the little seed that has now been planted in my mind.

36. Barbara says:

I don’t travel so much these days, but sitting in a cafe writing postcards was always a pleasure.

What an amazing spot you have photographed. It would be wonderful to live amongst such colour.

37. Bron says:

Kerrin this is a great post. I went to Burano a couple of years ago, knowing only that it was the lace island as opposed to the glass island and was completely blown away by the colour and intensity of the place. It was the middle of the day and sunny.

I have a friend who now lives in Edinburgh who loves postcards and the surprise of receiving them occasionally from her has taken me back to sending them instead of texts when I’m away. Definitely classier!

It was great to be at fbc on the weekend – your presentations were wonderfully entertaining as well as useful. Thanks for that.

38. Here Be Dragons says:

Amazing. I wish I’d seen that!

valentina, thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I am thrilled that these images were able to bring back memories for you and take you to far off places. Hopefully you will get back to those places soon too. And yes with enough time to really appreciate it. I agree – while it’s always so fantastic to be able to go on a weekend trip to a foreign country, it sometimes feels like such a tease – never enough time to do and see and taste everything ! Again, muito obrigada !

Barbara, oh yes, can you just imagine walking out of your front door everyday to this rainbow of colors – wow !

Bron, hi there ! I appreciate what you said about fbc, so so glad you enjoyed my presentations. And this post on Burano too ! Oh wow, what a surprise that must have been for you, to arrive and see this explosion of color – how cool in fact ! And I couldn’t agree more – postcards over texts, all the way !

Here Be Dragons, there’s always a next time, right ?! 😉

40. Sasa says:

Total letter/postcard writer here too! You send, you receive ^^v We’re not too far away from each other, I live in Dornbirn in Vorarlberg and I make a lot of faces too (I saw photos of you in Mowie’s FBC post), freut mich, Sasa.

41. Migration Mark says:

Burano looks like a really amazing place and these picture postcards are beautiful! The bright colors of the buildings remind me of Valparaiso, Chile, but instead of canals, homes are built on the sides of hills and painted brightly or with murals and graffiti.

Sasa, hello there across the border ! I’d love to explore more of Austria one day for sure. Glad to hear you saw Mowie’s fbc post, still can’t believe all those pics he shared of me ! 🙂

Migration Mark, thank you so much. I have never been to Chile, but your description just sounds incredible. Will have to add that to my (long) wish list of travel…

43. Terry says:

I’ve just recently been there!! This little village was such a discovery and the fact that every family has its own colored house is simply amazing! =)