New York City bound, prepare those lists !

It probably begins about three weeks before my arrival to New York City. The emails start coming in at a more rapid pace, and a recurring theme is unmistakable. What do I want for dinner ?

My parents count down the days to my arrival, as do I.  And they want to know…  Any special places I want to go to ? Any reservations to be made in advance ?  But to their disappointment, each time, I don’t really have a list of the hottest restaurants of the moment that I want to go to, that they would need to call as soon as they wake up one month prior to the day for dinner reservations.

When I go to New York, what I love the most is visiting our old favorites; eating a home-cooked meal by my mom; and going to my grandparents’ house for bagels and lox. Don’t get me wrong, there are lists; there are always lists, and long sweet lists at that.  But more on those in a minute.

I love to head to Chinatown and go to the same restaurant that my parents used to go to with friends before my sister and I were born, and to where my mom took my first grade class on a field trip…

I love to go to the same kosher deli my family has been going to since forever, for unlimited pickles and cole slaw, frankfurters with sauerkraut and chocolate lace cookies (my pick) and rainbow marzipan cookies (my sister and cousin’s fave). Or down to Manhattan’s Lower East Side for knishes, hearing stories of my grandmother getting a penny from her grandmother to buy one. And an obligatory stop at Russ & Daughters to ogle the impressive array of smoked fish and herring and mountains of halvah.

My New York City, Sweet & SavoryMy New York City, Sweet & SavoryMy New York City, Sweet & SavoryMy New York City, Sweet & SavoryMy New York City, Sweet & SavoryMy New York City, Sweet & Savory

Oh, and how could I forget crab rolls (lobster rolls too) at Luke’s Lobster and burgers at Shake Shack ?!

And custard at the latter too, of course. Speaking of which, back to those sweet lists… There are cookie runs galore to Momofuku Milk Bar, Jacques Torres (that’s him below), City Bakery and Levain Bakery.  And the mandatory cupcake (most likely from Magnolia Bakery and Sprinkles Cupcakes), along with checking out the colorful explosion that is the window of Dylan’s Candy Bar.  Not to mention the menu at Corona Ices, across the street from where I could watch the local Italian men play bocce ball all night (while we’re eating those ices of course).

All that said, I of course love checking out new sweet spots too – and come to the Big Apple with a list of those to check off, one by one. What’s on my list for this current trip ? Kouign Amann at Dominique Ansel; chocolate bars and salt at The Meadow; Israeli influenced date pastries and rugelach at Zucker Bakery; German breads at Landbrot (and brezels to compare to those I love here in Switzerland); and the Rainbow Cookie Hot Fudge Sundae (vanilla and almond ice cream, marshmallow fluff and almond brittle) at Kutsher’s Tribeca.  Or maybe the Black & White Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich… oh, such delicious decisions to be made.

What would be on YOUR lists ?

My New York City, Sweet & SavoryMy New York City, Sweet & Savory

30 Responses to “New York City bound, prepare those lists !”

1. Rosa says:

Great food! I wish I could visit that city.

Cheers,

Rosa

2. mayssam @ Will Travel for Food says:

I LOVE this blog post about my favourite city!! I am bookmarking it for future reference. How I wish I could be going on a sweet run with you in New York! I can’t wait for you to taste Dominique Ansel’s kouing amann, which I believe is the only thing on this list that I’ve tasted before you 🙂 Bon voyage!! xx

3. Dorre says:

Kutschers was amazing!!! highly recommend the KT hash and eggs , sooo good 🙂 have fun in the city

4. Joe says:

What about cheese? Check out the cheese making on view at Beechers, hit Essex Market and swing by Saxelby’s, maybe an amazing cheese meal at Artisanal?

Also Smorgasburg.

Rosa, merci ! 🙂

mayssam, of course I was thinking of you when writing this post ! Your favorite city – and your dear Eleven Madison Park, of course. You are too funny, I’ll be sure to let you know about Ansel’s kouign amann. And un jour, on croquera la Grosse Pomme ensemble !

Dorre, one order of hash & eggs coming right up ! 😉 Thanks for the tip, can’t wait.

Joe, cheese ? I live in Switzerland. haha ! Just playing around… I’m actually not a big cheese eater, but my (French) husband certainly is. I always take him to Murray’s. And last trip it was mac n cheese at Beechers (also got cool cheese papers there). Thanks for the ideas. Just checked out Smorgasburg, looks awesome ! (http://www.brooklynflea.com/smorgasburg/)

6. Nicole C. says:

I love that you love 69! I grew up eating there also. I had 2 Kouign Amann from Dominique Ansel Bakery last weekend- they live up to the hype! (their other Viennoiserie are just okay though…)

Very interested to see what you think about Landbrot & your comparison to brezels from Switzerland! And may I suggest skipping the cupcakes and going for doughnuts a la Doughnut Plant instead?

7. Silvia says:

Your food pictures are always so inviting!

And now I go and make myself some pizza (the real kind).

8. mom says:

OK…I am putting on my roller skates and getting myself ready for your lists! Can’t wait to share some of the new addresses with you but of course looking forward to the old haunts as well. How about the Greenmarket? Or how about frozen yogurt???? Ok…I will stop. Can’t wait till your little feet hit NYCity….

9. Sam says:

Lani said it best, roller skates are in order to hit all those spots for sure. So wish I was seeing you, it breaks my heart, so close! I think of all the foods mentioned above, the Halavah sounds delightful! I am so happy to have shared so many of thee delicious memories with you.

Love you xo

Nicole, oh how cool that you grew up eating at 69 too ! Can’t wait for Ansel’s kouign amann and Landbrot’s brezel. And you are so right – the Doughnut Plant is absolutely missing from the list above, thanks for the sweet reminder ! 🙂 What’s your favorite there ?

Silvia, thank you ! And homemade pizza – Swiss or New York style ? 😉 Either way, bet it was delicious !

mom, rollerskates – that’s brilliant !! =) Yes to the Greenmarket, and totally yes to frozen yogurt, but of course. Can’t wait for it ALL. And so soon.

Sam, just think – you, me, our parents and your 3 adorable kids all on rollerskates on the streets of Manhattan – haha !! So sad we won’t be seeing each other there…

11. Meister @ The Nervous Cook says:

I’m a little embarrassed that I’ve lived in NYC for almost a decade and have yet to go to Yonnah Shimmel—in fact, I’ve never even had a knish! Disgraceful…

Your list is aces. Eat and enjoy!

12. Pamela Harrison Ludwick says:

Hi Kerrin!
    Another must is some great Mexican food! Barrio Chino, on Broome Street. And for amazing vegetarian food, Candle Cafe or Candle 79.
    Hope to see you some day soon!
    xx,
    Pam

13. Gerry says:

Thanks for a great story! I go to NYC once a year and always head to Russ & Daughters first thing. What’s the name of your favorite deli?

14. Kiki says:

hmmmmm 🙂 it seems to me that New Yorkers love and appreciate a good meal just as much as ‘we Swiss’ and ‘us French’…. 🙂
    wonderful list and collection of pixies – made me hungry!
    have a great time, love and don’t forget your beloved Zürich while whiling it away in NY!!!!!
    (just kidding)
    Kiki – gros bisous and big hugs

Meister, thanks so much ! And hey, no worries – better late than never. Go enjoy a knish !! 🙂

Pam, hi !! So fun to see your name here, thanks for the comment – and the great foodie ideas for the city. Hope to see you soon too !

Gerry, you’re most welcome ! The deli I grew up going to was Ben’s Kosher Deli on Long Island. I know there’s one in the city, but I never go there, just not the same (to me).

Kiki, oh absolutely, New Yorkers appreciate their food, and then some ! 🙂 And no worries, I could never ever (ever) forget my cher Zürich, j’adore !!

16. Nina says:

OMG!!! Can’t wait to see you! All those places are my favorites too! What a surprise! The only thing you left out was a carvel cake with the chocolate crunchies! Lol!

17. Dorothy says:

Hi Kerrin,

Welcome home! Not sure if you remember me, but I had attended your tour when I was visiting Zurich last year around this time. Well fast forward 12 months and I decided to check on your blog today and glad to hear you’re visiting! Hope the cloudy weather doesn’t put a damper on your plans. Thinking of you brings back lots of yummy memories. Hope you are well and have a nice time here!

18. Danielle says:

Your pictures are making my mouth water! Especially those pickles, yum, yum. We also have a lot of good food trucks now.

As for cupcakes, I highly recommend Baked, located in Red Hook.

Kerrin, ohmygosh, I am NYC-bound too:) For the first time since 2009 – finally!

I’m headed down in a few weeks for a wedding. I’ll only be there for a few days, but that’ll be enough to send me into a near-vicious spiral of delicious oblivion… you know how it goes;)

Nina, me too ! I’m on my waaaaay ! 😉 And YES, total birthday nostalgia – Carvel cakes with chocolate crunchies between the chocolate and vanilla ice cream layers, haha !

Dorothy, of course I remember, great to hear from you ! Funny coincidence that you hopped on to the blog today – when the theme is NYC ! Thanks very much for the comment, hope all is well and sweet on your end too.

Danielle, excellent tip – just about everything at Baked looks tempting. I remember going there years ago after it first opened. Still have delicious memories of that visit. Must get back soon… And total city trend, those food trucks – they’re everywhere ! 😉

Emma, oooh how fun ! Enjoy your NYC eating extravaganza ! We’ll have to compare notes thereafter…

21. Danielle L says:

You need to try Celeste on the Upper West Side. Amsterdam and 83rd. It’s an amazing little Italian restaurant! People line up when it opens at 5 (I think) so get there early. The owner is always there, and he’s a character. He and the staff have a no-nonsense, no substitutions, hurry-up-and-order kind of attitude about things, but the food is so good you won’t care!

Also, may I suggest Sullivan Street Bakery on West 47th St? Get some of their delicious pizza slices and walk 1 block west to the park along the Hudson. Then walk a few blocks north to Ardesia Wine Bar on West 52nd. I work in Time Square, and due to the lack of great food in the area, I have learned to walk west and discover Hell’s Kitchen.

Have fun and eat up!

22. Fergus Miller says:

Hi Kerrin,

It’s been a while! We have just done Paris! http://fergusmiller.com/tag/paris/

NYC is on our list! I would book a table……………….

here: http://www.le-bernardin.com/

here: http://www.danielnyc.com/

here: http://www.momofuku.com/

here: http://www.perseny.com/

& last but not least http://elevenmadisonpark.com/ …………..

Daniel Humm, a native of Switzerland, Daniel began his culinary training at the age of 14 as an apprentice and went on to cook in many of the finest Swiss hotels and restaurants. Daniel earned his first Michelin star at the age of 24 as the Executive Chef at Gasthaus zum Gupf in the Swiss Alps. In 2003, Daniel became the Executive Chef at Campton Place in San Francisco and received Four Stars from the San Francisco Chronicle. Three years later, Daniel became the Executive Chef of Eleven Madison Park. Under his leadership, the restaurant was designated Grand Chef Relais & Châteaux in 2008 and received Four Stars from The New York Times in 2009. In 2010, Daniel received the James Beard Award for “Best Chef: NYC.”
    I guess that’s 5 nights sorted!

Best
    Fergus

23. Lemon says:

Lovely NYC pictures, great post. This makes me think of the lovely time I had in New York. Difficult where to go, too many great places. If I’d go to New York these days I’d just walk around the streets and try to discover as many places as possible.

24. Fergus Miller says:

Hi Kerrin,

Do yourself a favour go here: http://elevenmadisonpark.com/

Have a nice day!
    Fergus

Danielle, thanks so much for the delicious tips ! I used to loooove going to Sullivan Street Bakery in Soho – the very best was their potato pizza and the mushroom one too, so good. I’ll admit I’m not familiar with Hell’s Kitchen at all, but good to know there are good eats if I end up there. Amy’s Bread is there too… Thanks again !

Fergus, wow talk about a fantastic (fantasy) itinerary for 5 days ! 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing all those links above, excellent ideas for all visiting NYC.

Lemon, that’s exactly what I’ve been doing ! 🙂 Walking all over the city, falling into places – new and old. And enjoying every minute !

26. Ilana says:

you should make a stop at laduree… for a book signing!

27. valentina says:

K., I’ve never been to NY. The reasons for that are not worth mentioning. the funny thing is that recently I’ve started dreaming that I am in NY – I’ve had a lot of friends going to NY on holidays and talking to me about holidays in NY. The whole NY food scene has been fasinating me. Reading your post it made me think of my trips home. I always want to go down memory lane, revisit my favourite places – at least the ones that are still open. and home made food. As a result there is very little time to add new things to the list in the little time I have at home. Such a conundrum. To me it’s like fitting one’s lifetime in a two week a year holiday. I wish you the most wonderful time in NY. So nice to go home and see the loved ones. Already looking forward to your new and glorious posts.

28. bowsprite says:

ah! you Züricher-New Yorker! it has been a long time, perhaps, because the DKNY mural on houston has LONG been gone! amazing new places have come up, and alas, old favorites have disappeared. I love zürich, I suppose i like it here enough, and i do love your blog! have a wonderful trip back home! xo c!

Ilana, I walked by the shop yesterday – and thought of you !! 🙂

valentina, muito obrigada for sharing. We are on the same page indeed, and both enjoying time at home with family and going down memory lane. Funny that you’ve been dreaming about NYC, perhaps a trip will be in order soon…

bowsprite, haha ! Good call – I hesitated in putting that DKNY photo, knowing how out-of-date it is, but it’s such a classic NYC shot to me, I couldn’t resist ! 😉 Thanks so much for the comment !

Where have I been? Boy oh boy. I’ve missed a lot.

Are you in NYC now? Eating up a storm?

Travel safe and talk soon? 🙂